close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eat mo' venison

Discussion in 'Ohio Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by vc1111, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Do you cook in the field?

I have begun to consider cooking to be a great part of the outdoors experience. I cook a ton of whitetail venison every year.

My fishing partner and I cook in the boat every time we fish.
    My bowhunting partner and I cook over an open fire at the end of every day in camp.

I cook in my ice shed whenever I ice fish.

Do you guys cook?

What are your favorite outdoor meals and recipes?

2. Lance

Lance Super Mod Mod

I don't usually cook while in the woods or on the river but we usually cook over the open fire every chance we get when camping. Just go a new 12" cast iron skillet to compliment my 15" long handled non-stick. Love a big breakfast cooked over a morning fire! Foil dinners with roasted corn on the cobb rock too!!! I'm hungry now gotta go munch something. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2003

3. i really enjoy cooking.i'm my shifts cook at the firehouse!
    i must have got it from my father because he use to fix alot of game.snapping turtle,rabbit,squirrel,frog legs,fish,if you could hunt it, catch it, or gig it he could fix it up great! he use to have a bar after he came home from ww11 and they had alot of game dinners in the place.i still have some pics of him with a stringer of big catfish outside of the place.the word would get around town that he was gonna have a game dinner or a fish fry and the place would be packed!
    at our deer camp we take turns with the cooking duties among the guys that CAN cook.my favorite one to do is smoked turkey,green beans and dressing.we eat deer for a couple of meals and have a fish fry every friday of deer week.if someone goes away hungry it's their own fault!:D
    we have a bi-annual fishing trip that's about 1000 miles one way to northern ontario.it's a wilderness deal where we pack everything in on the boats and we do our own cooking.but it's fit for a king.fresh walleye and perch several times through the week and every morning it's a full breakfast of eggs,bacon,home fries,toast and coffee.there's nothing like listening to loons and watching bald eagles while you're having breakfast!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2003
  4. Cooking and eatinf from an open fire is the greatest. I have had some of my greatest meals that way. During spring turkey camping my sons catch a mess of blue gills that we fry up for supper that is great. Venison is brought along along with other wild game. Nothing can compare to it.

5. Man, you guys have got me drooling..pass me a napkin so I can wipe away the spitle/slober.

Making me hungry!

Oldhat

6. I cook as often as I can and really enjoy cooking at a primative camping site with coals from a fire or simply use charcoal when using dutch ovens to keep the temps pretty close to what the recipie is I am cookig at that time.
    I never cook over an open fire if baking is involved or anytime really unless its simple like hotdogs or burgers. A fire is way too hot to control and can burn food faster then coals...

Click HERE to view a website page I created that will help you understand, with easy to understand tables, how to figure out the temp you are cooking with.

No camp, kitchen for that matter, should be without a good sourdough starter. Many a fine meal have been topped off with fresh sourdough biscuits, breads or deserts with the camp cook, of course, getting back slaps all around. First lets start with the basic starter recipe.

Sourdough Starter
    1 package dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water ( 105 - 115 degrees )
    2 cups all purpose flour
    3 table spoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups warm water ( same as above )

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, let stand for 5 minutes. Combine flour, sugar and salt with your 2 cups warm water in a non-metal bowl. Stir real well and mix thoroughly. Add yeast mixture and stir again real well. Cover loosely with moist/damp cloth and let stand in a warm place (85 degrees) for 72 hours. Your starter will look cream colored and smell fermenty and sweet.

Whenever you use some starter simply replenish by adding equal amounts of water and flour to replace what has been used. To use sourdough for making bread and rolls simply take 1 cup of starter for every package of yeast called for in your recipe and add 2 cups of warm water along with 2 cups all purpose flour and mix well, bake as instructed by your directions.
    ENJOY!

7. YUM

Nothing better than cooking over an open fire. I've never done it on the water, or after hunting, but with out a doubt when camping. Best meals ever over the open fire. Especially breakfast.... mmmmmmmm, i'm hungry.

David

8. In the boat I bring along a 5 pound propane tank. Its heavy enough to be much more stable than those little green disposable propane tanks. We usually cook venison burgers with onions and peppers...add some horseradish, mustard, relish, tomato.......

In camp we use the coals.

There's something about a campfire in the evening that just feels right.

9. This topic reminds me of my brother and cousin’s pit blind. Let me explain.

I had never shot geese out of a pit blind so this was new to me.
    So here we are an hour and a half before daylight and I’m wondering why so early, so I ask. -- I should have known better.
    David (my brother) says we have to bale out the pit. --- Three 5 gallon buckets and 25 minutes later we are standing in a foot of water and Scott says, good enough, lets get the blocks set out. Scott and I set the decoys and are working our way back to the pit. All of a sudden I see yellow flames lighting up the pit blind, Scott, what in the heck is he doing.
    Breakfast don’t you eat breakfast?

We get to the pit and David has Two Coleman cook stoves going and three cast iron skillets on the heat. Two dozen eggs and a loaf of bread setting on a little shelf and maybe four pounds of ham sizzling in the largest pan.

Every thing is looking good until I see the shelf, the shelf that the Coleman stove, big cast iron skillet and that four pounds of ham is setting on. It is nothing more than a piece of plywood with a hinge on it so it can be folded out of the way, and a stick about the size of your finger holding all of that weight. Now I would have never said a thing about their wood working skills if it wasn’t for this one little thing that mad me feel a bit uneasy.

That big skillet and that four pounds of ham where on the left burner of the cook stove and the whole shelf was tipped down towards me. They, my brother and Scott said not to worry that stick has done a fine job of holding up the shelf. --- I should have known better.

So we start eating the ham and Scott says, how do you like the ham, I tell him it is the best I have ever had. Then he says, its Rose Ann.--- WHAT!!, not that sick a** pig the kid’s raised for the Lucas county fair. --- Yep, it’s her. --- I thought you had to shoot her.--- I did.

We are 15 minutes from shooting time and David ask how many eggs do I want.--- None, shooting time is almost here. You hunting or cooking. --- Cooking, I have some geese in the freezer, you and Scott can shoot I’ll cook up some eggs; you want some more ham – No.

Shooting Time
    Scott and I are hunting; David is cooking eggs and eating that sick pig.

We have 5 ducks coming in off the lake. Scott, what are they. --- I don’t know, Sprig I think. ---- David in the background with a piece of sick pig in his mouth – Twoooo watte in wee wear foor sppig --- What! spit out that pig and talk too us ---- Too late in the year for sprig.

Scott looks David square in the face and said, they are Sprig, and you need one for the wall.

Now the fun starts
    Scott is digging in every pocket of his coat looking for a Pintail call and David is trying to get shells in his gun. It’s funny, wish I had a movie camera.

Scott found the sprig call and is whistling at the ducks, David gets his shells in his gun and jumps up to get a look see at the ducks and hits that little shelf that is over loaded with a cast iron skillet and some sick pig. The shelf went up, the stick fell out and the whole mess is hitting me.

The skillet hit the stock on my gun, a chunk of that sick pig went down my hip waders with some of that hot oil it was frying in, the skillet hit the foot or so of water that was in the bottom of the pit scared the heck out of me, the Coleman stove is under water, Scott is still calling to the sprig and you will never guess who got the one and only drake Pintail in the flock. Yep,David

So you see VC1111 ----- I don’t cook in the woods, the boat, in the campgrounds, I don’t cook in the great outdoors. I know better. ----- Give me a can of Spam and I’m good to go.

10. Thats too funny along with the rest of the story LMAO :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  11. Lmao....that was a great one. I ought to send you a case of Spam for that one!