Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only my second year of waterfowl hunting, how should I hunt the early 2 week season on canadian Geese.

Drive local lakes and try to find shoreline to setup a temp blind? any special regulations?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Field hunt. Water is a bad way to hunt early season, because its their roost. They are not migrating birds, theyre resident, so the water you find them on is the area they call home. You go in there shooting, and thats all she wrote...they aint coming back to that spot. Find an area and pass shoot or get in a field they are feeding in.

As I spend more seasons waterfowling, I find that field hunting almost always trumps the water, conditions permitting.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Find an area they are flying through on a consistent basis, like a marshy area between the feed site and the roosting area. Setup shop and plug them if theyre close enough. Decoys arent necessary, they wont decoy as the spot youll be in isnt an area they want to spend time in. Look for points on lakes that are near areas they might spend a sunny day. The idea is to catch them in transit.

Not my style, but it works now and then.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I had the same question. This is the first year im tryin my luck at geese

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
take a picture of with you, blue, green and cinnamon just in case...let em land in the decoys....identify....let em spring up and get yourself some teal for the dinner table.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I really wanna get some teal. Never hunted em before but do know what they look like. Is it alot of fun?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts