Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesnt Salt Fork have an early muzzy season?

I am wondering why more guys do not hunt this or does it get pretty busy?

I have a place to stay about 30 mins tops from Salt fork or I can stay right in cambridge at my uncles uncles house. Either way I thought about getting a group of guys to get together and hunt it this year just to try and kill a doe or two?

Any info is appreciated, I know the area fairly well.

·
22,521 Posts
Hunters are not required to apply for a special permit to participate in this season. Hunters are required to have a valid hunting license either-sex deer permit or an antlerless deer permit to participate in the early muzzleloader deer season (October 15-20, 2012; Wildcat Hollow, Shawnee State Forest, and Salt Fork Wildlife Area only). Persons hunting on these 3 designated areas are required to wear hunter orange, except for waterfowl hunters. Bag limit is 1 deer of either sex and deer harvested during this season count towards the hunter's zone bag limit.
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_deer.aspx#controlled

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks deerhunter56,

I am more curious tho as to why more guys do not hunt this season, seems like it kind of flies under the radar??

·
22,521 Posts
You would be surprised on how many DO hunt these 3 areas during that time frame.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Salt Fork gets slammed.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
honestly I think this might be a fun thing to go to tho, deer will be getting moved, you might get lucky and get a shot at a big buck, and have a good chance of putting a doe in the freezer early with a smoke pole! Kinda cool idea!

·
22,521 Posts
Salt Fork gets slammed.

Yep- I tried it some time ago-maybe 15 or so years ago. When it got light out, I remember seeing a sea of blaze orange. Thankfully no one was too close, and I was off the beaten path too, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

About an hour after light I heard someone shoot, and I watched and waited to see anything coming from that direction. Nothing, but after a while I heard leaves rustling. I couldn't tell what the heck the noise was. It would go on for awhile, and stop, and then continue-but slowly.

I also heard a guy using his ram-rod to load his muzzleoader. Finally I see a buck about 50 yards away pulling itself with it's front legs since the guy who shot him, hit him high in the spine and the deer could not use his back legs. .

I pointed my TC Hawken at him, put him in my Leupold scope and waited until I had a clear shot at his vitals. "BOOM"- Smoke cleared and the deer was dead. As I got down from my stand and walked to the deer the other guy met me there, and was begging for the deer, since he was so worked up, he couldn't load his muzzleloader. I felt bad for him and he was shaking. The guy was following the deer, trying to load his gun, but couldn't

I said-it's yours don't worry about it, I just wanted to help you out. I then find out it was his 1st deer-it made my day.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Yep- I tried it some time ago-maybe 15 or so years ago. When it got light out, I remember seeing a sea of blaze orange. Thankfully no one was too close, and I was off the beaten path too, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

About an hour after light I heard someone shoot, and I watched and waited to see anything coming from that direction. Nothing, but after a while I heard leaves rustling. I couldn't tell what the heck the noise was. It would go on for awhile, and stop, and then continue-but slowly.

I also heard a guy using his ram-rod to load his muzzleoader. Finally I see a buck about 50 yards away pulling itself with it's front legs since the guy who shot him, hit him high in the spine and the deer could not use his back legs. .

I pointed my TC Hawken at him, put him in my Leupold scope and waited until I had a clear shot at his vitals. "BOOM"- Smoke cleared and the deer was dead. As I got down from my stand and walked to the deer the other guy met me there, and was begging for the deer, since he was so worked up, he couldn't load his muzzleloader. I felt bad for him and he was shaking. The guy was following the deer, trying to load his gun, but couldn't

I said-it's yours don't worry about it, I just wanted to help you out. I then find out it was his 1st deer-it made my day.
Nice. True Sportsman.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts

John, you surprise me more everyday. I thought I was the only one using an old TC Hawken"..........kidding.............you can hunt with me anytime. You are getting close to being my hero!:thumbs_up:

RGJZ06

·
Registered
2 Posts
Early muzzleloader

I have hunted this season for over twenty five years. I suggest you try wildcat hollow in Perry County. There is little hunting pressure and some awesome hunting. I too am a traditional hunter, I have a hand made .40 caliber percussion gun that I bagged 15 deer with over the years. Good hunting.

·
22,521 Posts
RG- People just need to enjoy their time in the woods. I see many getting away from what it's all about, and not taking it all in.
It was my 1st muzzleloader and I still own it. I loved that gun, and shot many deer with it. Eventually, I had to retire it for an in line and something more "up to date" but none of my current muzzleloaders have the memories, or have killed as many deer-yet- that I have with that old Hawken.

One day- me and that old hawken- will hunt again!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
"One day- me and that old hawken- will hunt again!"

pick up a dvd of Jeremiah Johnson and watch it over and over, especially when he pries the Hawken from the frozen guy.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
"One day- me and that old hawken- will hunt again!"

pick up a dvd of Jeremiah Johnson and watch it over and over, especially when he pries the Hawken from the frozen guy.
I have it. I kilt the bear that kilt me. Or something like that.

I build mine from a TC kit. When finished it looked like something you would want to hang over the fire place, not hunt with. I paid $35 for the opened box kit. Harts or one of those stores were closing their doors. They had this kit sitting by the check out register. Octagon barrel some kind of wood stock, walnut maybe, can't remember. Took about a month to finish it. My wife made covers for me to cover the polished brass and shiny poly coated stock. The thing shot great. I sold it some years later to a guy with too much money to spend. Wish I had it now. Think that was in the early 80's or close to there.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I live within 5 minutes of SF property. I first hunted there in 1975 and got my first deer then, a nice buck. Back then you could wear full cammo. We used to camp at the primitive camp site. Some pitched Tee Pees. It was a fun time. Lots of people. A year or so later two of my friends got shot in one day. One was self inflicted, the other by a guy's wife who was setting the hammer down on the cap as we were all walking to our hunt spots. Maxi hit him in the back of the heel and came out behind his little toe. Not a fun day. I hunted there one or two years after that and then passed for about 20 years. So 20 years later I went out with another good friend and I took a nice 9 point with my flint lock. That has been it since then.

If you want to get some guys together, I could probably be persuaded to go again. I usually bow hunt that week near my property hoping deer get pushed my way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts