Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stopped at the eagles nest today, I noticed something moving around but couldn’t tell if it was an adult or an eaglet. There was 1 adult bird flying around cussing at me so I thought it might be the other adult on the nest. I took several pics of the nest & the flying bird, which were very out of focus. When I checked the nest pics on my PC, I saw that it was an eaglet in the nest & it already looked POed. I’ll keep stopping by checking if there is more than 1 young un.

On the way to lunch, I spotted a hen hot footing it across a newly planted field. This is the 1st turkey I have seen since last fall.

After lunch, I stopped at my Sis’s in-laws to get some pics of a killdeer & her “nest.” She was sitting when I pulled up & started trotting away. She didn’t do the broken wing stumble but I followed her a little way to make her feel like she was doing her job. After getting a couple pics of the nest, I got back in the truck & she came right back to her nest. I snuck out of the truck &, hiding behind it, I moved to the front & got a couple of pics before heading home. I check in a week or so to see if the eggs have hatched.

·
Registered
93 Posts
incredible pics of the killdeer. i wonder how successful their nesting / hatches are. seems so vulnerable, but mother nature has a way of naturally protecting herself. thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
incredible pics of the killdeer. i wonder how successful their nesting / hatches are. seems so vulnerable, but mother nature has a way of naturally protecting herself. thanks for sharing!
I plan to check every few days & will post pics. Welcome.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We had killdeer nesting next to our driveway last year. They started in March, and I would feel sorry for them brooding their eggs out in the open right through snow, sleet, cold, etc. But all 4 eggs hatched after nearly a month of sitting, then the little fuzzy (at first) puffball babies ran all over our driveway and yard for weeks. I watched them every day. Eventually they started flying, then the whole group left. In about a week, the parents returned and started a new nest, but the eggs in that one disappeared after a week or so. This year we have 2 pairs of killdeers, but I have not yet seen them on a nest. Interesting little birds for sure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Years ago I stood at a car dealership in Gallipolis and watched a Cooper’s hawk chasing a killdeer on the wing. The killdeer dodged and turned in the air but the hawk stayed on him. They circled around and around. Eventually the killdeer made the wrong move and there was a mid-air crash and explosion of feathers. The hawk had its dinner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts