Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how everyone's plots are doing in this drought. My beans started out so good last I checked they were 8 " tall and starving for water. My clover plots looked real thirsty a few weeks ago so they are prolly toast now. I think I will give them 5 more days then it's time to blow the dust off the irrigation system. What a pain. What I'll do for deer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A clover plot I put in last year is still hanging in there. Actually looks decent, but I have cut 3 times. That may be helping it a bit.

We put in a new plot this spring and the growth is very sparse. It took a lot of work, but I am guessing we will have to redo it this fall.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My sorghum and buckwheat are both less than i hoped. Considering turning them down in august and putting winter rye, winter peas and radishes in their place.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I waited until we had rain in the forecast, I am still waiting. It looks like I'll keep the dirt weed and grass free until August before I plant.

·
Banned
955 Posts
sprayed my clover this past saturday for grasses. The clover on the edges looked good due to shade. The middle of the plots looked stressed. Hopefully we get some rain soon........I wouldn't even think about planting anything now for a while unless we get some rain. I thought about planting some brassicas after the 4th but that isn't going happen unless we get some decent rain fall. The problem now with planting is there's enough dew to germinate the seeds, but when they pop out of the ground they fry.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I waited until we had rain in the forecast, I am still waiting. It looks like I'll keep the dirt weed and grass free until August before I plant.
I'm probably in the same boat. I won't do much planting until mid-August. I have enough clover and chicory now to keep the deer happy.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
My are doing very well, but they were planted last fall and over seeded this spring. (Darron I don't have to many weeds) LOL My rye is in seed it is shading the clover a bit I think it is helping because it islooking good. If it doesn't rain I have a feeling that it guna be in trouble..

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Mother nature is a bitch, but I still lover her.

·
Banned
955 Posts
My are doing very well, but they were planted last fall and over seeded this spring. (Darron I don't have to many weeds) LOL My rye is in seed it is shading the clover a bit I think it is helping because it islooking good. If it doesn't rain I have a feeling that it guna be in trouble..
Yeah my plots are pretty weed free as well but I did have some grasses in spots but I nuked them on Saturday. I went ahead and cut my rye above the clover on June 3. Looking back, I wish I would have just left it because the rye would have shaded the clover a bit with this heat wave. Oh well.....clover is a hardy plant and it will come back with rains.

You can't beat planting clover and rye together. Makes for some nice clover the following spring. I plan to plant a couple strips of rye/clover mix in some strips where I planted turnips last summer. Other than a few strips of clover/rye I plan to fertilize my existing clover this fall and let it be.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I like tall stuff in my plot's the rye or a sorg. is perfect. I have action everywhere in these plot's... The tall stuff allows for cover, I have bedding areas everywhere. When the season comes around they seem to come out earlier unlike the flat Ft tall stuff..

I also plan on mixing some oat's rye and peas together again this fall then over seeding any bare areas. These plots are all in urban areas and man they are hammering it. There are new trails and the old ones are getting wider and wider from all the traffic..

like the field of dream's: Build it and they will come... LOL

One question Darron The rye will re-seed it's self correct?

·
Banned
955 Posts
I like tall stuff in my plot's the rye or a sorg. is perfect. I have action everywhere in these plot's... The tall stuff allows for cover, I have bedding areas everywhere. When the season comes around they seem to come out earlier unlike the flat Ft tall stuff..

I also plan on mixing some oat's rye and peas together again this fall then over seeding any bare areas. These plots are all in urban areas and man they are hammering it. There are new trails and the old ones are getting wider and wider from all the traffic..

like the field of dream's: Build it and they will come... LOL

One question Darron The rye will re-seed it's self correct?
Your rye will not stay tall for long. If I had to guess by mid july it will break off and fall over on its own.

As far as the rye reseeding itself........it can if the clover is not too thick. If the clover is thick it will shade everything out......which isn't a bad thing if your goal is a clover plot. Plant red clover with rye if you plan to turn it over the following year. Plant white clover if you plan to leave it in a clover plot for 2-3 years or more.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Here's a picture of my foodplot. I planted corn on 30" centers and than planted Soybeans between the corn. I planted this on May 6th and it seems to be doing great but we definitely need some rain so it keeps going. I have a 2 year old Ladino Clover plot that I strip tilled to rotate my Corn/Bean plantings with . As you can see between the corn and Beans stands the clover. Next year I will probably plant Rye and Clover in Sept. where this years corn is to build the soil back up for the following years Corn/Bean rotation. Or I might Frost seed in the corn stubble so I have clover sooner.

Behind this plot I planted the same thing but a month later and the beans are almost completely gone but no deer tracks so I 'm figuring they wilted and died and the corn looks like Pineapple tops so I'm praying for some Rain this weekend.

Attachments

·
Banned
955 Posts
Here's a picture of my foodplot. I planted corn on 30" centers and than planted Soybeans between the corn. I planted this on May 6th and it seems to be doing great but we definitely need some rain so it keeps going. I have a 2 year old Ladino Clover plot that I strip tilled to rotate my Corn/Bean plantings with . As you can see between the corn and Beans stands the clover. Next year I will probably plant Rye and Clover in Sept. where this years corn is to build the soil back up for the following years Corn/Bean rotation. Or I might Frost seed in the corn stubble so I have clover sooner.

Behind this plot I planted the same thing but a month later and the beans are almost completely gone but no deer tracks so I 'm figuring they wilted and died and the corn looks like Pineapple tops so I'm praying for some Rain this weekend.
the corn looks nice! How big of an area did you plant? Have always wanted to plant corn myself, but I'm just afraid with smaller areas it will get wiped out quick with the high DD of SE Ohio.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
the corn looks nice! How big of an area did you plant? Have always wanted to plant corn myself, but I'm just afraid with smaller areas it will get wiped out quick with the high DD of SE Ohio.
Thats maybe 3/4 acre total of corn/beans so with the clover I would say 1.5 acres. Deer density is not a problem and most guys can't plant this type of plot . Believe me I'm not bragging about that . I would much rather see higher densities. Its alot pricier too. My plan is to have the only standing corn in the area for late season just in case my regular pre-gun season turns out to be unsuccessful.

***** are relatively easy to exterminate.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Thats maybe 3/4 acre total of corn/beans so with the clover I would say 1.5 acres. Deer density is not a problem and most guys can't plant this type of plot . Believe me I'm not bragging about that . I would much rather see higher densities. Its alot pricier too. My plan is to have the only standing corn in the area for late season just in case my regular pre-gun season turns out to be unsuccessful.

***** are relatively easy to exterminate.
Yeah I have priced RR corn and it is really expensive to plant let alone the fertilizer. I don't think I could get away with it due to the DD and *****. I think I would have more problems with the ***** LOL. I would be sick if I plant an acre to have it wiped out and be out some money.

Hopefully this heat doesn\'t set you back. Post some more pics later in the summer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts