Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
22,524 Posts
Some of you may know Dr. Kroll, who is known as Dr. Deer in the whitetail circle. He recently filed a report on his findings on The Wisconsin deer herd and the interaction between hunters,landowners and the WDNR.

I have followed Dr. Kroll for many years and value his opinions- and his report here does not pull any punches.

Wisconsin is well known for their trophy whitetails and leads the country in many categories, but like Ohio they have their opportunities. If you take the time to read the report there are some simalarities that they have probelms with that Ohio has as well. Ohio does not have CWD, so that is another problem they are dealing with there, but much of Wisconsin is private land and they have some challenges in that state in regards to the landowners and how to manage their resources.

Take the time to read his report. I think you will read some good information.

Some highlights-

Relationships between the state's hunters and the DNR are strained at best. The confidence of sportsmen in the agency has been shaken by whitetail population overestimates and its management of CWD, which has been largely deemed a failure.
- The DNR does not have a handle on state's burgeoning predator population-which includes timber wolves, black bears, bobcats and coyotes-and its effects on the deer herd.
- The agency has done little to work with private landowners (the vast majority of Wisconsin's deer habitat is privately owned) to involve them in assessing deer populations and habitat issues.
- Hunting regulations in general are complicated, often unpopular, and need to be more consistent and simpler in order to retain hunters and keep them passionate and involved in the sport.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/krollreport.pdf

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think Ohio may share a few of the same problems. For one thing. I think our dnr has done a heck of a job making this a trophy state. The one buck a year rule has really helped that. The things over the past few years that have concerned me that the state has not acknowledged. Are 1. The exploding population of coyotes and it's effect on fawns.
2. The growing population of leases out there. I know of a few people that lease land in the 1000s of acres. And don't let anyone hunt but there selfs. This causes. Drastic fluctuation in Deer populations in certain areas. It has also forced a lot of hunters to quit hunting. I think it is a statewide problem.
3. I think the odnr was blind to the fact that winter 2009-10 and 10-11 were a major player to reduced deer herds state wide
But the moral of the story is only a few hunters really care. I think it is a heated debate on this forum. Is because most people on here are passionate about Ohio deer. At least the ones that are on here posting in the off season.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Leasing is not itself the major problem, Its the lack of regulation and licensing of the so called outfitters who lease land to simply make a fast buck but look the other way when their customers are breaking every hunting regulation there is.

And the ODNR is big time negligent in selling dirt cheap non resident deer permits.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Leasing is not itself the major problem, Its the lack of regulation and licensing of the so called outfitters who lease land to simply make a fast buck but look the other way when their customers are breaking every hunting regulation there is.

And the ODNR is big time negligent in selling dirt cheap non resident deer permits.
I agree here. leasing itself isnt bad for hunting at all! whats bad is a "outfitter" leasing 50 farms then subleasing them for double the price.
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
5,040 Posts
I used to think a lot of Dr. Kroll until he pimped himself out to Buck Forage Oats and his "Brassica toxicity" theories.

·
Registered
402 Posts
He helped develop BFO....I also get tired of him constantly pushing BFO but I look past that for all his other information. It would be nice if he lived in a more northern area. What works for Texas deer isnt always the same for Northern Bucks.Last time I checked Texas wasnt full of corn and bean fields

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
22,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He helped develop BFO....I also get tired of him constantly pushing BFO but I look past that for all his other information. It would be nice if he lived in a more northern area. What works for Texas deer isnt always the same for Northern Bucks.Last time I checked Texas wasnt full of corn and bean fields

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Just like each one of us, we'll have our "favorites" on what we like and what we don't like as well. If he has chosen BFO as his, I may choose Eagle Beans etc.

I think the more important issue is some of the information on landowner and DNR interaction. They have plenty of Biologists in the DNR there, and very little interaction between them and the landowners. With that state being almost all privately owned, he pinpoints an opportunity there to help with the deer herd.

I also agree Texas is different then the northern states, and some of those practices there won't work here-and vice versa, but taking the information that would help and improve is what needs to be focused on.

I do believe we sit here and pick at this and that, but I think everyone that is interested in our deer herd, as well as the deer herds across the country-are passionate about the whitetail- and want to improve the resources. I posted the article to show that other states have some of the same concerns, but also the different challenges they have to deal with. It's really no different for us-we all just need to focus our passion for whitetails in the right manner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts