Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been seeing them around the house and on my way to work. Has anyone been to the fields?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
30 Posts
I usually see two flying together but lately I've been seeing five or more flying around.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got a crapload flyin around here. I think theres a roost or something in one of the next few fields over. In the evenings Ill always see them fly over the same areas.

·
Registered
133 Posts
startin to see better numbers in southeastern ohio. Usually after labor day the powerline in the feild below my house starts getting filled

·
Registered
5 Posts
public land plantings?

Does anyone know what the state has planted in the dove fields this year, particularly at Pickerel Creek and Oak Haven near Sandusky? They've always planted sunflower in the past, mixed it in with foxtail, my son says that this year all of the plantings at Grand River near his home are disked under corn...which he says is bad news for doves...?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Well mr bluedog and I decided to check out how some of the crops in the vegetable fields were growing. And it is September. Not seeing any huge flocks but lots of groups of 2 to 6 birds. So we now have a start to our collection. Will wait until we get more before we cook them up.

Sent from my SCH-I405

·
Registered
5 Posts
lots of doves

My son and I had a great day Saturday at Pickerel Creek. We must have picked the right field, as we were both limited out by 9:15 a.m.

We saw thousands of birds, so did everybody else that was there.

Then we headed over to his neck of the woods east of Cleveland, hunted a state managed dove field this morning, along with half a dozen other people, and saw a grand total of two birds, way out of range.

Pretty normal for the second day of the season on public land. But opening day was great...

Back to MI tomorrow morning, have a great season, everyone!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
A friend and I took the boys out this afternoon. Started off a little slow, so the boys moved about 100yrds or so to get away from the "bad luck".

Sometimes they really amaze us. Within 30 min. they had 5 dove in the cooler. We sat and watched, then decided they were having way to much fun, after 5 more fell into the cooler.

We finished off the day with my friend and I hitting a double, then picked up a single.

Gonna be good for dinner tommorrow.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting the itch again for dem doves, seeing a lot flying around and on telephone wires!! Got some new spots this year to try out, can't wait!!!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Just got home from visiting my family in NW Ohio. I swear there were so many doves the power lines were sagging. Might be heading north Sept 1.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts