Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Dog Food FYI

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  flathunter 
#1 ·
Im expecting my new ESS PUP this spring, I took time with this bad weather and try research some quality dog food manufactures for my pup/dog food.
Unfortunetly I found out there is alot of CRAP out there people are unknowingly feeding there expensive quality gundogs.
Just FYI might help some of you.
http://www.wayeh.com/feedingtrial/index.html

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
food

i have english springers and setters, and to be honest i compared the costly food to wal marts and the protein and minerals values were the same or better. my vet said thats all you need to look at . the taste dont mean nothing hell eat it . 26% protein is good for your dogs while hunting or working. in the of season i drop down to 16-18% cause youll get your dog fat in the off season if it isnt out running it off. also using ol roy dog food i save $$$.the ingridiants are all the same and have same vitamins and minerals

crude protein is min. of 26%
crude fat min. is14%
crude fibre min is4%
moisture max is 12%
linoleicacid min. is 1.5

#7 ·
I feed my Golden Retriever Iams dog food in the green bag. He loves it.

#8 ·
Dog Food...corn???

I just adopted a 1 yr. old lab and was doing some research on the best chow for him. I saw that at least one food manufacturer is making a big deal about having NO CORN in their dog food. What's the big deal about corn?
He is currently eating Nutro Lamb & Rice...any opinions on this stuff?

#10 ·
I used to feed my pointers that expensive Eukenuba (Iams) stuff until I found Excel at Sam's. Essentially Excel (in the yellow bag) is chicken or chicken by product and has the same ingredients as those other high dollar feeds but about half price. Excel runs around $18.00 per 44 lbs compared to $38.

Stay away from any feed that has the primary product as corn or corn by-product my vet and training pro George Hickox recommends a meat based feed and Excel is exactly that. BTW - I attended one of George's training schools he holds in NE Ohio each year at Hill & Dale hunt club and it's worth the time and money spent. If your serious about training I recommend you try it but it may be tuff getting a spot only about 10 students are enrolled each year.

#11 ·
I use Iams Eukanuba Lamb and Rice for my Golden. The breeder I got her from had her on Purina when I picked her up. I gradually switched her over soon after we got home. I have used Iams for all of my dogs, all 5 of them (Basset, Setter, and 3 Golden Retrievers) over the years.

#12 ·
dog food

my genetic inferior flea bitten goat (gwp) eats steak if im eating grouse,crow if im eating steak ,he will help himself to one of the first doves of the season and a chicken from the neighbors now and then. his favorite delicacy is cat chit.followed by a cow pattie mud bath.for a bird dog he has it made, he is allergic to feathers! and 112 other things mostly found in the woods and fields of northern America. which is why we feed him, when he is not eating any of the above, iams Eukanuba KANGAROO AND OATS!!! at a mere 2 bucks a pound !!!!
:D

#15 ·
dog food

buyer beware is as good for dog food as anything else while i have never understood my nieghbor who will spend 5Ks on a hound and then feed him old dads ( and later pay a vet to remove gravel from his belly he was eatin to get the minerals his food lacked) stick with professionals advice, if there is no profit in his advice for him. published so called scientific reports always make me wonder who paid them to make that report. and always stay away from the NEW SCIENCE FAD until it is proven, case in point. science diets zd ultra.this food uses a trick learned on people that if you shrink protien from meat small enough that a person allergic to meat protien can consume it get its benefits but not the allergic reaction.works great on humans but not on dogs. but a vet who sells it wont tell you that. as in all of life follow the money trail before taking advice

#17 ·
Good

I just think the difference in quality foods like Excel,Ikunuba/Iams,Diamond ect compared to crap in foods like Dads/olroy and most cheaper foods is huge.
I figure if Im paying big bucks for a high dollar gundog Im gonna feed himbest food I can reasonible aford to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.