Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge is expected to announce its withdrawal from NASCAR competition following the 2012 season, multiple sources with knowledge of Dodge's plans told ESPN.com. Dodge is expected to hold a Tuesday press conference [August 7th at 2:30pm/et] to make the announcement. Attempts to contact multiple Dodge spokespeople for comment were unsuccessful or resulted in no comment. Dodge was faced with a rebuilding phase beginning in 2013, after Penske Racing -- the lone NASCAR organization to field Dodges since 2009 -- chose to leave the manufacturer in favor of Ford Motor Company beginning next season. This isn't the first time Dodge has chosen to leave NASCAR. The manufacturer pulled out of the sport in 1977 and didn't return until 2001. Since that time, Dodge has accumulated 55 Sprint Cup victories. (ESPN)(8-7-2012)

SRT Motorsports announced that Dodge will withdraw from NASCAR competition at the conclusion of the 2012 season. Ralph Gilles, President and CEO  Street and Racing Technology Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC, made the announcement during a media teleconference call. The decision affects current involvement in both the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series. Penske Racing currently fields two Dodge Charger cars in the Sprint Cup Series and two Dodge Challenger cars in the Nationwide Series. Penske Racing announced in February that it would end its partnership with Dodge, which started in 2003, at the end of the 2012 season.
"We've spent an intense five months working to identify and evaluate all options for our future involvement in NASCAR," Gilles said. "A number of opportunities emerged, and our team worked diligently to put a structure together to fit our overall business and competitive objectives. While we have been pleased and enthused with the amount of interest from teams and sponsors over that time, in the end, we simply couldn't develop the right structure."
Dodge has recorded 215 wins in the Sprint Cup Series, including 55 since 2001, and has been represented in the NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup seven of the eight seasons. In 2010, Brad Keselowski captured the NASCAR Nationwide Series championship driving a Dodge from Penske Racing.
"It's an extremely difficult decision to know that we won't be there for our fans next season," Gilles added. "It's important to note that we have not lost focus on 2012 or the commitment to our partnership with Penske Racing in both the Sprint Cup Series and Nationwide Series this season." Keselowski currently is seventh in the Sprint Cup Series standings and has three wins in his quest to make the 12-driver Chase field for the second consecutive year. In Nationwide Series competition, Sam Hornish Jr. is locked in a four-way battle for the season championship.(SRT Motorsports)(8-7-2012)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Here's another little tidbit I found interesting.
The US Government defines domestic vehicles in two basic ways: where they're assembled and the percentage of parts content comes from an American source. We add the final two criteria to clear the air on confusing issues regarding ownership. For example, you may think that the Dodge Ram is an American vehicle, but it's really not: Because Dodge is owned by a German company, DaimlerChrysler, and because its parts content does not reach the US threshold of 75 percent, it's actually an import. We also recognize the value of a brand, and the cultural importance they play in the lives of Americans. For example, Ford is more than just a car company; it's a family with a historic legacy that covers assembly line production and automobiles. Regardless of recent struggles, the name and brand of Ford, Chevrolet, Cadillac or others resonates with people as a part of their lives. The two main criteria, however, can serve a valuable role in determining what constitutes an American vehicle:

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Here's another little tidbit I found interesting.
The US Government defines domestic vehicles in two basic ways: where they're assembled and the percentage of parts content comes from an American source. We add the final two criteria to clear the air on confusing issues regarding ownership. For example, you may think that the Dodge Ram is an American vehicle, but it's really not: Because Dodge is owned by a German company, DaimlerChrysler, and because its parts content does not reach the US threshold of 75 percent, it's actually an import. We also recognize the value of a brand, and the cultural importance they play in the lives of Americans. For example, Ford is more than just a car company; it's a family with a historic legacy that covers assembly line production and automobiles. Regardless of recent struggles, the name and brand of Ford, Chevrolet, Cadillac or others resonates with people as a part of their lives. The two main criteria, however, can serve a valuable role in determining what constitutes an American vehicle:

I think now Fiat owns controlling interest in MOPAR. The F150 was considered an import until 2012. Not sure how long the F150 was an import but for awhile. Saw all of this in Consumer Reports.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
182 Posts
Toyota can take the nonunion junk some where else yea they made more cars in the USA. But to me they will always be a imported nap pos

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Seems if it wasn't for a bailout, most of the union guys wouldn't have a job.
Just an FYI my father was UAW, worked at GM for 33 years. I've heard it most of my life.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i drive a new silverado...proud of it...i did like the ford and dodge...jap. junk was out of the equation...:biggrin:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well just saying funny how they mainly use temps to do work and pay next to nothing and sell the cars for about the same price as a union built car but yea at least the money made from a Chevy or ford made in Mexico stays in the USA and the cars the make here they pay a fair wage for and not send the money back to Japan and yea they got money from the government and they pAid it back so it was more or less a loan to keep Americans there good paying job

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Don't know where my Colorado was made, but it's had over $12,000 in warranty work done to it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts