Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many hunters will go straight to their tree stands when the rut begins but is this really the best place to go? Hunter's with decoys or hunting food sources often will go to the fields to catch a deer chasing and challenge him to a fight. Which is your personal favorite and why?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I generally hunt food sources be it fields , or a oak flat in the evening .
In the morning I usually hunt in the timber in a funnel or on the edge of a bedding area .
Mornings have been tough this year for me to sneak in, seems deer are there all night so no good time to sneak in.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I hunt doe travel routes and secondary travel routes that the bucks use. These are usually 10-15 yards off a doe route and barely visible due to less travel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know with a decoy I am hunting open areas more. But that being said i will try corridors when the winds up or weather issues to.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I hunt known doe bedding areas. Always wanted to try a decoy, but never have.

Reactions: SWOhio hunter

·
Registered
267 Posts
For me it’s funnels and pinch points. When the bucks are cruising they usually make it to these areas. I like these areas and if you have a good google earth image they are easy to pick out. If all else fails inside field corners are always good.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
For me it’s always been fresh sign be it rubs scrapes or observations of activity every year seems different so I can’t say I per dominantly hunt one area more then the other I do follow my gut use what I have learned through the years and hope things go my way as with rut all bets are off

·
Registered
361 Posts
Our property funnels the deer into an open field, so I hunt the edges & feeder trails.

Love using a decoy on field edges!! Brings deer in & always fun to watch them get fired up & challenge that decoy :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I hunt travel corridors between bedding areas and food sources. Thicker the better. When I hunt the "Big" woods of public land, I'll try to find saddles on ridges between bedding area's. If there happens to be a food source near by (Oak tree's this time of year) even better. If the temperature warms up, a water source near a travel corridor can be a magnet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts