Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In MY opinion, killing more than you can use is not sportsman like and wasteful. True Sportsmen cherish our natural resources, and want to protect wildlife from those who would waste or abuse. Those who kill more than they can use give all true sportsmen a bad name. Society will judge all hunters and fishermen by our worst acts, not our best. I am not stating my opinion to support organizations like PETA, but to have a stronger defense against them. I am disgusted that this site in particular would promote such a senseless unsportsmanlike waste. A group of individuals used this site to discuss the creation of an organization for the promotion of catfish as a gamefish (that distinction offers protection against waste and abuse). Truly commendable for both the individuals involved, and the owners and operators of this site. However, this site also helps to promote the senseless killing and waste of carp (burying them in a hole IS a waste). I know that many in this country do not have a high opinion of the carp, but it is growing in popularity as a gamefish. At this time Ohio considers the carp to be forage fish; and therefore, it may be taken by any means without limit. But, just because it is legal, does not make it sportsman like! Catching dozens of 40lb Flatheads, killing them, and burying them in a hole would also be legal. But would it be sportsman like?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good post Roosterfish and I agree with you. MOST of my fishing is catch & release. I do keep fish every now and then if I know they will be consumed within two weeks. I believe very much in selective harvesting.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A True Southern Ohioan

Well said Roosterfish, if you read any of my posts then I would say we agree on most topics and beliefs. It does not matter what species of fish and wildlife or any other living organism, it's just senseless slaughter and the public knows this. It's like these guys bitch at all the negative publicity we get and then wonder why it's negative when there are actually people who call themself sportsmen who promote such acts.

I don't want any part or association with an organization or a represenative who promotes or carries out senseless slaughter. These are the people who when we get 2 steps ahead they set us 3 steps back by their actions. I can't see where they have the right to call themselves sportsmen, a better name for them would be slaughtermen.........

And yes we do have a responsibility to preserve nature and it's eco systems.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I believe that sportsmen do have a responsibility to preserve nature and the ecosystem. I find it hard to believe that some people leave old fishing line, rusty hooks, trash, everything. I always pick up all that trash when I'm out, and I believe that it is everyone's job who is out there enjoying nature to help preserve it.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
a twist (at least for carp)

I agree we have a very strong responsability to be good stewards of our environment and use our resources wisely, but I'd like to add another viewwhen it comes to carp.

Carp are a non-native trash fish that do more damage than good to most waterways they live in and breed to excess. No different than the pond full of stunted bluegills that get pitched on the bank. Waste is a term that can be held relative to how you see something should used. I've known many people that swore up and down that carp were the best possible fertalizer for their roses so they are not "wasted" in their eyes. Also a dead fish decaying in a swamp is not wasted but merely decaying and going back to the food chain.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
catch and release is great for the resource but some do eat fish and thats not wasting the resource.peta sends a big fish to bass tournaments,claiming catch and release means nothing,the fish quiver from pain they claim.several years ago many fisherman thought catch and release would keep anti's off their back but now they know better.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Yes , it up to us to HELP wildlife. But If you don't want to just keep crying about it. Get the laws changed into your favor. It's legal and the ODNR doesn't see a problem , then so be it. get over it already!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have to go along with Lance & Desperado. I did quit shooting carp because of a guilty consious, but I might do it again.Killing
them is legal for a reason, and we could also add groundhogs & crows, for instance. Calling it wastleless slaughter is on a pedistle too high for my short little legs.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Preservation=non use.......Conservation= wise use.....alot of use have been killing carp for alot longer than many of you realize....they are a non-native invasive species with a very high reproduction rate...sure I wish that there were more uses for them but there just isn't...although tons of them are netted in the Lake Erie bays and marshes every yr and are sold for some use????...I'm sure someone here knows what for though.....
The comparison of carp to 40# flatheads or any gamefish for that matter is unrealistic...in pretty much any given body of water there are many times more carp than any other gamefish combined. Also, while it seems that those of us who focus on carp are taking large amounts we are taking a very small percentage when compared to to the number of fish in a given body of water....The DNR sets limits depending on the amount of fish in a body of water and the number of fisherman who pursue and most of us will agree that they do a good job....they set those limits based on facts and not emotions...

·
Registered
586 Posts
CARPN-JAKE

good post.in no way is bowfishing going to cause a decline in carp populations.some folks who are against it would and do not have a problem throwing gar on the bank because they are a "pest",or as muskyman said,killing crows,hogs,fox or coyotes.i'm sure if it were detrimental to the species,the DNR would make some changes,as they do with other species.like you stated,they would do it,based on facts,not motion.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Good post Jake!! I totally agree!;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts