Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DOW is holding public input meetings Aug 11. Read this in the Dayton Daily News yesterday. For District 5 the meeting is this Sat from noon to 3pm. Meeting will be held at District 5 Headquarters, not Greene county Fish& Game. I assume they are being held in every district. They are looking for hunter input on some of the laws. Someone from Law Enforcement and a Wildlife Biologist will be present to hear concerns and answer questions. Wonder what brought this about? Maybe they caught wind that a lot of hunters are unhappy with the direction they have been going. If you are in another district, I would call to make sure those times are the same in your district.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Banned
955 Posts
I would like to know what it is about before I drove out there and attended. Maybe I'll call them one day this week.....if you find out please post.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Topics

1501:31-1-02 Definitions
It is proposed that definitions be added for "wholly enclosed preserve," "commercial bird shooting preserve," "wild animal hunting preserve," and "captive white-tailed deer" to match recent changes in Ohio Revised Code as part of HB 389.

1501:31-1-04 Severability (New rule)
It is proposed to add a rule stating that if a portion of a rule is deemed unconstitutional or otherwise court ordered to not be enforced, the court order only applies to the portion of the rule designated by the court, not the entire rule.

1501:31-3-11 Fishing guides
Ohio has over 700 fishing guides licensed by the Division of Wildlife to operate on Lake Erie waters. These fishing guides must show proof of having a current Coast Guard captain license when making application to the Division of Wildlife for their annual Ohio license. It is proposed that this rule be amended to state that when a person who has an Ohio fishing guide license has their Coast Guard captain license suspended, or if the Coast Guard license expires, the Ohio fishing guide license is also suspended during that period of time.
This change is supported by the Lake Erie Charter Boat Association.
It is proposed to change the wording of "game protector" to "wildlife officer" to match the title of Division of Wildlife officers as defined in Ohio Revised Code.

1501:31-9-03 Regulations on the use of firearms on division owned or controlled areas
It is proposed that paragraph D of this rule be changed to reflect that the fee for reissuing a range permit is $4. As currently written, it incorrectly states that the fee for reissuing a range permit is $3.

1501:31-9-07 Wild animal hunting preserves
It is proposed to make changes to the rule as a result of the recently enacted HB 389 in consultation with the Ohio Department of Agriculture and representatives of the respective industries. These changes include:
• Restructuring the paragraph defining legal hunting methods.
• Replacing the term "wild animal" with "game, captive white-tailed deer or non-native wildlife" to reflect language used in the Revised Code.
• Record keeping requirements, including the name, address and number of type of animals taken by a hunter.
• Record requirements regarding escaped captive white-tailed deer.
• Requirements for records of deaths of captive white-tailed deer that die from means other than hunting.
• Requirements for records for animals that enter or leave the facility, including the reason for leaving the facility, name and address of the previous owner and laboratory test results for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD).
• Requirements for signs to be posted at 400 foot or less intervals around the perimeter of the preserve.

1501:31-13-08 Fish daily bag limits: protected species (Effective March 1, 2013)
It is proposed to define the geographical limits on reservoirs so the rule is easier to understand and easier to enforce. In many stream or river impoundments; the upstream end of the reservoir is not clearly defined.
It is proposed that this rule be amended in the following ways:
• Adjust the daily bag limits on bass in specified waters to improve fishing.
• Impose a daily bag limit on bluegill and other sunfish at AEP lakes and ponds to improve fishing.
• Modify the "fillet" portion of the rule to better serve our constituents. The following changes are proposed:
o Fillets must be kept whole until an angler reaches their permanent residence or until the fish are prepared for immediate consumption.
o There will be no requirement to keep any skin on them.
o This will not apply to anglers with a receipt from a fish cleaning house or charter captain which states the date, number, and type of fish.

1501:31-13-09 Length limits on certain game fish (Effective March 1, 2012)
It is proposed to define the geographical limits on reservoirs so the rule is easier to understand and easier to enforce. In many stream or river impoundments, the upstream end of the reservoir is not clearly defined.
It is proposed to adjust the length limits on bass in specified waters to improve fishing.

1501: 31-15-02 General hunting and trapping provisions
It is proposed to adjust the rule to allow for the sale of squirrel skins as well as the tail. Squirrel tails have been sold for many years, hunters often leave them attached to the entire hide, so this will allow a common practice to continue and be a simplification.

1501:31-15-10 Wild turkey regulations
It is proposed to make changes to the tagging process to reflect new templates in the License and Game Check system. One change is that hunters will no longer be required to use a Division issued temporary tag; they will provide their own just as landowners do now.

1501:31-15-11 Deer regulations
It is proposed to make changes to the tagging process to reflect new templates in the License and Game Check system. One change is that hunters will no longer be required to use a Division issued temporary tag; they will provide their own just as landowners do now.
It is proposed to clarify language on the carrying of concealed weapons.

1501:31-19-02 Cervidae carcass regulations
This rule restricts the importation of deer parts from areas where Chronic Wasting Disease has been found. It is proposed that these areas be referenced as listed on WildOhio.com instead of listed in the rule, with a reference to the website in the rule. This will allow for more timely updates to assist in protecting Ohio's deer herd.

1501:31-19-04 Cervidae regulations
It is proposed to make changes to the rule as a result of the recently enacted HB389 in consultation with the Ohio Department of Agriculture and representatives of the respective industries. These changes include:
• Defining the height of the fence as eight feet, with a maximum deviation of four percent and defining the required fence material as woven wire mesh.
• Requirements to report escaped captive white-tailed deer within 24 hours.
• Requirements to repair the fence immediately to prevent further escape.

1501:31-25-01 Wild animal permit regulations
It is proposed to add language to make it unlawful to tamper with properly labeled, legitimate, research equipment i.e., nets, tin for reptiles, traps, etc.

1501:31-31-02 Commercial bird shooting preserves; tagging; permit application
It is proposed to make changes to the rule as a result of the recently enacted HB389 in consultation with the Ohio Department of Agriculture and representatives of the respective industries. These changes include:
• Removing the requirement for a commercial propagation permit for these facilities.
• Requirements for signs to be erected on the perimeter of these facilities at intervals of 200 feet or less.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
"Wild animal hunting preserve"
Think about it, why should not every leased property be classified as a preserve?????
Anytime cash is exchanged for hunting, it should fall into the preserve and all the associated rules.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
They don't want to hear about the low population of whitetails especially on public land so I won't waste my time.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
"Wild animal hunting preserve"
Think about it, why should not every leased property be classified as a preserve?????
Anytime cash is exchanged for hunting, it should fall into the preserve and all the associated rules.
i've been saying that for years...it is that way in texas...should be that way here too...i even believe every feeder and plot should be registerd...*:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
i've been saying that for years...it is that way in texas...should be that way here too...i even believe every feeder and plot should be registerd...*:biggrin:
Talk about a dictator! Wow ****, you can't get enough guvment can ya?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Talk about a dictator! Wow ****, you can't get enough guvment can ya?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
i never heard of anybuddy complain down there about the way leases are monitored by the dnr...feeders are not registerd there ,just thought i,d clarify that...but leases are registered as shooting preserves...and i think that is a good idea...i do think hunters need to be kept honest as is done in many sports by some kind of committee that enforces rules to stop cheating ...especially when money enters the picture as well as fame or climbing the ladder of success and oppurtunity as many are trying to do today in hunting...sorry...somebuddy needs to be putting trail cams on these individuals to keep them honest...sad i agree that we have warts like this in our activity that calls for such measures that puts this on even those doing things on the up and up...or honestly...the warts in sports are the blame not the government...:D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Everything printed in the Dayton Daily News is absolutley true. Just like the internet. Just like all your friends of a friend have permission to hunt too. Please remember its an election year 'an we're all promised a whole bunch too. . .

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everything printed in the Dayton Daily News is absolutley true. Just like the internet. Just like all your friends of a friend have permission to hunt too. Please remember its an election year 'an we're all promised a whole bunch too. . .[/QU What the Dayton Daily News printed was true. They had the meetings. Fail to see your point ????
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts