Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you consider low miles for a diesel truck? What are the pros and cons, besides the heavy pulling capability? Fuel mileage?

I am thinking about getting rid of my truck for one. I have an 07 Dakota with 90k, get 17.8 on the highway, if the boat is hooked, it drops to 14.3....

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
They will run strong up to 400000 miles any file mileage depends on u. U can put cold air intake and a power programmer on them and get any where from 17/20

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Fuel costs more as well.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a tanker, gas.
Gets 18 /20 has 200,000 miles on it and only "major" repair was power steering..abt 1200$
Had it since 2001, it was used 2000 model. I too love disel...had one for a while but unless you tow constantly its just a bad $ decision.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats why I am having trouble. I know the repairs are expensive and the fuel is a little more.

I don't know if the mpg's are better, I have heard they are.

I tow my boat 3-4 nights a week.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thats why I am having trouble. I know the repairs are expensive and the fuel is a little more.

I don't know if the mpg's are better, I have heard they are.

I tow my boat 3-4 nights a week.
Tow your boat with my truck for a few days..You will be begging for yours back.10mpg city/14 or 15 highway unloaded.245hp/335tq.:(..I used to pull a 14ft alum lowe,2hp johnson(1954)and a trollin motor,with a 1993 toyota corolla..Cust made hitch;);)..Pulled it through the hills of perry county..Had to get a good run for some of then hills

Sent via Campbells soup can an string..

·
Registered
129 Posts
you will enjoy driving a diesel though. a 24 valve cummins should suit you well :mischeif: if your going to shell out 15-25k for a truck, look in the southern states for a rust free one. I got lucky and found one in ohio that was from colorado and was completly rust free. never saw a ohio winter. good luck! Not trying to stir things up, but i would avoid the 6.0 powerstroke..

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I would also go 24v cummins if ya went at all....I like the 12v but its going back there in years,and you cant get them factory in quad cab(ex cab yes but no back doors open)..For my purpose's (3 kid car seats)ease of backseat access is a must..My dodge handles that aspect fine and actually surprised me.. ..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know much, but, everyone I have talked to has said stay away from the powerstrokes.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Yes unless u get one of the last years they put the 7.3L in them. If Ur ganna go 2005 and newer get a duramax it won't let u down

·
Registered
467 Posts
I used to have a 1986 f250 non turbo 6.9L it was nice to pull with never gave me a problem. Till the transmission started to slip. After $2200 for a rebuild a month later the injection pump went out. It would have been $1500 for a new one. But I knew a guy who works on them and got a used one for $100. Then the lock out hub shattered on the inside that's when I sold it.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I would go with the 24 valve cummins with a 6 speed.
That or 2nd place is a 6 speed 7.3 powerstroke..Your going back to 99-2002 for either (give or take)..I am not sure if the OP is comfortable with that ''old" of a truck...I know I am:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
U can get the 7.3 powerstroke back to 97 in the old body style I know cause I got one lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343190817.874502.jpg

KOKEMO

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
i have a 1991 ford f350 with the 7.3 liter and although it is not a power stroke,i have added the banks turbo kit and trans command.i love this truck it does anything i expect it to with no problems yet:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 256k on my 95 Powerstroke. Not an issue with the motor, trans has been replaced. Annual trips up into Canada for fishing since the day my Grandpa bought it. Had a camper for the and hauled two boats stacked on each other every time. It gets 19 mpg. Just my hunting truck now.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a 99 power stroke. I put a super chip in it, on the lowest setting and I would never have a diesel with a power program. My truck gets around 15.5 mpg, but if I run biodiesel, which is hard to find at regular stations, my mpg jumps to almost 18. When I was buying my truck everyone would sa that theirs would get 18- 22 mpg, and one thing I found consistent with their trucks is they had 373 gears under the back end, while mine had the 410. I don't notice much of a difference in mpg when pulling anything, and it will pull. When I bought mine, it had 135000 on it and I paid 20k for it. It now has right at 200k on it and still runs strong. My truck eats brakes, rotors, calipers, and one thing I have found about diesels...... Unless you are going to spend serious money on tires, these, at least my truck will go no where off road if it is soft. Very heavy truck, and will sink in a heart beat. If it is soft at all, it says on the road. My truck has the 7.3 liter in it and been fine, mine is from Wisconsin and Iam starting to get rust.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts