Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I tried them a couple of times & didn't care for them at all. I'm sure others had better luck than I.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I tried it once. The tallow was worse than not good. There might be a good way to solve that but I never looked into it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I cut all the meat out from between the ribs and use it for grind.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I've also tried and not worth it. There is a guy on another forum that spices them and bakes and says he has good results, but I've never known anybody to enjoy them. Ours feed the birds, the scavengers and then the bugs. I don't take the time to trim any of that meat.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If you eat them fresh, then they are pretty good. Very very fatty taste and will leave a layer of tallow in your mouth, but pretty darn tasty over a campfire with a beer in hand on the night of the kill.
If you freeze them then the fat turns rancid and you will not enjoy it. I usually cook a few of them fresh after the kill dinner, and bone rest out for dog food.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
If you eat them fresh, then they are pretty good. Very very fatty taste and will leave a layer of tallow in your mouth, but pretty darn tasty over a campfire with a beer in hand on the night of the kill.
If you freeze them then the fat turns rancid and you will not enjoy it. I usually cook a few of them fresh after the kill dinner, and bone rest out for dog food.
I’m going to have to try that. I feel bad throwing them out but I never find much meat on mine.

Just spice em up and toss them on the fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
We eat them all the time, cleaning them is the major pia, cut the brisket off and cut some fat off, leaving some on is ok. We cook them in a roasting pan on 300 for 3-4 hours…. Delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts