Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My group was drawn for a deer management hunt at an Arboretum here in Licking County. It's been going on every year for years now. Between 4 of us hunting this 88 acre area, ( 5 stands and 3 blinds ), + trail cameras, we have only seen 5 deer in total and only 1 buck, which was a 1 year old fork horn. Acorns are dropping like rain too. This area is definitely NOT over run with deer. Apparently, the system is working to thin the deer herd.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What's around the area? Are there farm fields still full of corn, better cover fro now? Sometimes these hunts are better later in the year. However, this is one of the reasons I've not put in for one that it right by my house. I know the deer are there but not in the numbers they once were. I also know, from talking with those that maintain the area, that the deer go up on the hillside that is off limits and lay all day long because they've learned it's safe.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, there are a couple of bean fields that we are waiting for them cut, that are off limits. Have only seen a few deer in there though. Colder temps coming up may get them moving a bit, I hope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts