Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All. Took the morning off from hunting, pretty frustrated with my hunts so far this year.

I’m new to ag land, I’m used to hunting big timber blocks with no major food sources. With standing beans and corn everywhere around me, I’m having trouble keying in on major deer sign. I think they’re just so spread out.

I’ve got a bumper crop of acorns around me as well, making things worse (for me the hunter, great for deer).

My question for the group is: how do you rank deer’s preferences of corn, beans, acorns, and hay/clover/natural browse. I’ve keyed in on acorns ridges and pinch points so far and I’ve been skunked.

Thanks in advance!!
James, NE Ohio

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Find the green food sources. I never realized how true this was until last week when I found a late planted bean field (still dark green) surrounded by turnips/radishes (farmer planted as a cover crop) surrounded by mostly standing corn. This area is 90%+ AG. Yesterday evening I saw about 15 deer including a nice group of bucks in the green soybeans. There will be very limited cover after the crops are harvested. But for now, the deer are there. If someone were to look at this area on a map, they’d never expect to have this many deer here.. definitely an overlooked spot.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Fresh cut hay fields Or plowed fields with grass starting to show up are good all year

·
Registered
559 Posts
This time of year:
1. Apples
2. Green soy beans
3. White acorns
4. Freshly picked corn
5. Clover plot / young growth hay field
5. Standing corn

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
This time of yr soft mast like apples can be great .

Acorns can be great .

Green soybean fields can be great , as can alfalfa , clover , or winter wheat of rye .

Keep in mind also that morning hunts usually cause more harm than good and it's best not to hunt mornings until later in Nov unless you have direct Intel telling you otherwise

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Good Morning All. Took the morning off from hunting, pretty frustrated with my hunts so far this year.

I'm new to ag land, I'm used to hunting big timber blocks with no major food sources. With standing beans and corn everywhere around me, I'm having trouble keying in on major deer sign. I think they're just so spread out.

I've got a bumper crop of acorns around me as well, making things worse (for me the hunter, great for deer).

My question for the group is: how do you rank deer's preferences of corn, beans, acorns, and hay/clover/natural browse. I've keyed in on acorns ridges and pinch points so far and I've been skunked.

Thanks in advance!!
James, NE Ohio
I think they go for apples first if any are around. As far as acorns the white oak acorns seem to be the ones deer prefer.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Majority of the time they have a favorite tree that go too if you can pinpoint it ....Or find those staging area before they come out into the fields in the evenings ..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Soybeans have always been productive for me. After that I tend to hunt over hay or just pinch points. I’ve read two sources saying maple leaves are a favorite. If I had extra cameras I’d check that theory. Apparently it’s all about timing with them being freshly dropped but not long enough to start decaying. This is the typical October lull though, once the crops are harvested food sources will change. You might try laying off to avoid pressuring the area and doing some of those home improvement projects or getting the OT in so you’re more available when activity peaks.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
They do like freshly dropped maple leaves . I don't think it necessarily a primary food but if I'm doing a mobile hunt and I see a maple dropping yellow leaves in a area I was going to hunt already I make sure to factor that into my decision .

They will beeline to a maple dropping leaves and pick around some . I've seen it on multiple occasions .

It's just not a primary food in my opinion . More of a appetizer . But it may be the difference between getting a shot or not if you may attention on your mobile hunts .

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
They do like freshly dropped maple leaves . I don't think it necessarily a primary food but if I'm doing a mobile hunt and I see a maple dropping yellow leaves in a area I was going to hunt already I make sure to factor that into my decision .

They will beeline to a maple dropping leaves and pick around some . I've seen it on multiple occasions .

It's just not a primary food in my opinion . More of a appetizer . But it may be the difference between getting a shot or not if you may attention on your mobile hunts .
The leaves I see them gobble up soon as a good frost hits are a long slim green leaf, similar looking to the small trees that get red berry clusters on them, but these don't get the clusters, I think it's a type of shumack .

·
Registered
354 Posts
The leaves I see them gobble up soon as a good frost hits are a long slim green leaf, similar looking to the small trees that get red berry clusters on them, but these don't get the clusters, I think it's a type of shumack .
wouldnt be tree of heaven would they? they kinda look like sumac and are darn near impossible to kill off and invasive

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
wouldnt be tree of heaven would they? they kinda look like sumac and are darn near impossible to kill off and invasive
Yes that could be the name they are an invasive tree, I just happened to see a pic of them in a paper I looked at, but I forget the name of them, I don't think that's what they called them, but it may have different names. That is the only thing I see that looks like the sumac but has no red clusters on them. The deer eat them like candy at my place. I watched does eat everyone of the leaves that laid on the ground one morning archery hunting years ago. A hard frost knocks the leaf's off. It must sweeten them like it does Brassicas .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tree of heaven or Lantis trees. I have them by my house. Deer do love them. A hard frost and sections with the leaves on them fall off. It can be very good hunting for a couple days if your in a cluster of them. My dad shot a nice 10pt in them some yrs back. They are a very fast growing tree.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Tell me about it..I was given the task of cutting down a small forest worth of the things on a hillside.. a month or so again they were back

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tree of heaven or Lantis trees. I have them by my house. Deer do love them. A hard frost and sections with the leaves on them fall off. It can be very good hunting for a couple days if your in a cluster of them. My dad shot a nice 10pt in them some yrs back. They are a very fast growing tree.
Anyone care share share a photo?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts