Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was just reading through the new Ohio Outdoor News for this week, dated July 20, 2012 and found an interesting article on the use of damage permits. The article is on page 18 and is a must read for anyone interested in the use of permits. I am against the over-use of the permits, but this article added to my distrust of the system. I don't mean to beat the drum against the permits but I wanted to bring this article to every hunters attention. I did a search on Ohio Outdoors News' website but was unable to find a link yet for the article, but will keep an eye out for it to post.

Some interesting stats from the article published by Dan Long:

- 10,597 deer killed using the DDCPs in 2009 (261,260 hunting season total)
- 3,694 of the total were from 7 counties: Knox, Coshocton, Licking, Ashland, Holmes, Wayne, and Tuscarawus
-5,878 deer killed on DDCP in 2010, a 44% decline (per ODNR website)
- Ohio Farm Bureau's "demand to reduce the herd down to 250,00"

These numbers made me raise my eyebrows in disbelief. Granted those counties are the top producers of hunting harvest anyway, but it would take my home county (Crawford county) 8 years to produce those numbers killed on DDCP. Like I said, I always gave little thought to the effects of the permits, although many members on the site have voiced their strong disapproval. After reading this article I just had to bring it to other members attention that may have just brushed it off before, like I had. I encourage everyone to read the article for yourselves, as it was an eye opener for me.

Resources:

Long, Dan. "Getting the Lowdown on Deer Damage Control Permits". p. 18. Ohio Oudoor News. July 20,2012.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub304.pdf

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
The ODNR did a program to get farmers and hunters together and work out access so the deer can be harvested by hunters.

The farmer participation was scant at best.

I say shut down the damage permit program altogether, and tell the farm bureau they made their bed and they can lie in it. :irked:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i know a couple people that have the permission for hunters signs up and they tell me nobuddy asks...:D

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The ODNR did a program to get farmers and hunters together and work out access so the deer can be harvested by hunters.

The farmer participation was scant at best.

I say shut down the damage permit program altogether, and tell the farm bureau they made their bed and they can lie in it. :irked:
AMEN BROTHER!!:bowdown::woohoo1::thumbs_up:

·
7,173 Posts
Crop damage permits aren't going away. Statewide they make up 2-4% of the deer kill, an insignificant number in the big picture.

Most problems with gaining access to land often goes back to hunters that didn't appreciate landowners allowing them to hunt.

·
22,520 Posts
Crop damage permits aren't going away. Statewide they make up 2-4% of the deer kill, an insignificant number in the big picture.

Most problems with gaining access to land often goes back to hunters that didn't appreciate landowners allowing them to hunt.
Boy- you are correct on that one sam. I had landowners that were calling me and ASKING me when I was coming out next to hunt. I even had invitations to family cookouts-offers for lunch on mid day of my hunts and so on. If you treat the landowner and their land like it was your own, you can have all the land you need to hunt.

I also had slob hunters on our own property who were never granted permission to hunt again. A lot of access is gained trough hard work in being able to approach a landowner in the right manner and if you are genuine and honest in your request- and follow the rules- you will have property you can hunt on. It comes down to the hunter being professional and genuine and taking care of the landowners property like it was there own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts