Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has noticed a change in patterns at all since acorns started dropping? I seem to have less activity at my corn feeders. anyone else seen any changes?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I haven't seen any. The deer keep coming in the yard up here and eating the apples that have fallen off the tree so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen any. The deer keep coming in the yard up here and eating the apples that have fallen off the tree so far.
i dont think it matters what food is availible, apples are like crack to them, and they will always go to apples. but in my experience, when acorns are dropping they dont seem to want the corn as much anymore.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i dont think it matters what food is availible, apples are like crack to them, and they will always go to apples. but in my experience, when acorns are dropping they dont seem to want the corn as much anymore.
i agree...in areas where theres no corn...they seem to eat the acorns and apples(from trees) equally with acorns being more available in most cases ...in the areas where theres corn fields i've noticed deer will move out of the bottoms /corn when acorns really start hitting the ground...i've counted on that for yrs.when hunting the wnf when a lot of the deer were in the bottoms(corn)early season but hit the ridges of the wnf after acorns started dropping...:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i agree...in areas where theres no corn...they seem to eat the acorns and apples(from trees) equally with acorns being more available in most cases ...in the areas where theres corn fields i've noticed deer will move out of the bottoms /corn when acorns really start hitting the ground...i've counted on that for yrs.when hunting the wnf when a lot of the deer were in the bottoms(corn)early season but hit the ridges of the wnf after acorns started dropping...:D
have you noticed any dropping yet? i live in virginia and the acorns usually dont fall here until just before season opens. but they started falling about a week ago. i'll be hunting a piece of property in the kimbolton area for the first 9 days of bow season, or until i tag out:bouncy:.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Guys on another popular archery forum are saying that they are seeing bucks making rubs already. Anyone seen this in Ohio? I have not..
All our bucks on cam are full velvet still.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Every buck I've seen is still in velvet. Usually I get pics of them fresh out of velvet in mid Sept.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
After thinking about it the acorns could of fallen due to the wind. I haven't seen any others on the ground unless they are getting eaten as they fall.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have seen quite a few acorns on the ground but I have seen a lot more in the tress, they seem like they are full of acorns this year in my hunting areas.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
have you noticed any dropping yet? i live in virginia and the acorns usually dont fall here until just before season opens. but they started falling about a week ago. i'll be hunting a piece of property in the kimbolton area for the first 9 days of bow season, or until i tag out:bouncy:.
yes and some are nice sized...seems most are under red oaks but i've seen them under white oaks too...i think most are still to come down...it gets real windy around halloween time...if they need help the squirrels will shake em down...i will prolly be on the wayne national forest again this weekend...hopefully i see even more on the ground:biggrin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whats the average size of deer around Ohio, as far as weight? Here in Virginia average good size buck is usually only about150 lbs.

·
Registered
817 Posts
probably 175-225 for an average buck.
125-150 for an average doe.

I shot a doe that tipped the scales around 180 last year.
I have seen guys shoot bucks that weigh in at 300..

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have a yard full of red oak acorns. The spot I hunt down the street has about an 80 acre soybean field, once I started noticing the acorns dropping the deer were not appearing in the fields at night to feed on the beans. So I am thinking they are gobbling up the acorns and then hitting beans after dark.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts