Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used eagle claw hooks my whole fishing life, but yesterday changed that...I picked up a pack of gamakasu 8/0 octopus hooks and decided these were for me when it comes to flathead fishing....You can just tell by the looks and feel of the steel that these hooks are superior to my old stand by eagle claws...And they are needle sharp also.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What ??

When did hell freeze over ??:rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :D

Remember you have to let the fish tighten the line, no setting the hook like you like too.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now wait a minute Jim, I did not say circle hooks:D these are Octopus style hooks, they just have the offset eyelet

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Jim, I thought the same thing the first time I read his post. I didn't reply and when I read it later on I noticed he didn't put the circle behind octopus. I was beginning to wonder myself if he was sick or something. lol

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Keep us posted on how they do.;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
You won't be sorry. Well worth the litte bit of extra money. Just a question, did you get these in a store or online? I've noticed a difference between the two for some reason.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Switched Hooks

Well I'm being forced to switch also, I was using the 8/0 Gamakastu circle hooks and they have discontinued that style of hook:mad: but Owner makes the same type so I'll be switching over to them in 2003, looks like the same hook, side by side, been using the Gamas since they came out in 1999, I musta been the only person buying them I order, 144 hooks at the beginning of each year...........Doc

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok, now I'm confused. The Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks I'm currently using are not the same Gamakatsu Circle hooks others are using? What's the difference? I can tell the difference between the Octopus and the Octopus Circle, but I've never seen just a regular Circle hook. I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Are you sure Doc? I see them listed on their website. Actually, it looks like they added a non offset style too. But if so, I have some your welcome to, just to hold you over for a while. Not a lot, just 12-15, but I just cant get used to them with my style of fishing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
M.Magis

I always order them at the first of the year, takes two weeks to get them and they informed my supplier that they are discontinuing that style hook, it's the number 208 Octupus offset circle hook, the Owners look identical to the Gamas, so I'll be good to go, I just like to have a good stock of the things on board the boat before we start tournaments, but thanks for the offer, just hate changing again after all these years.......Doc

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
all i know is i use circle hooks for catfish...mainly i buy where ever i can find them.they are hard to come by...i am sure i've used several brands but they all worked the same...kept the catfish on and the hook was in the corner of the mouth making it easy to take catfish off and return it to water...if its a circle hook,then i buy it

·
Registered
806 Posts
Doc

Wow, I'm suprised to hear that. It seems like almost everyone that uses circle hooks use the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle. It seems like they would have to come out with a replacement.:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
M.Magis

He told me that only the 8/0 was being eliminated, that was the biggest they had in that style of hook, I like that size it fits well in the nostril sockets of a live Shad when there is a lot of current, and slips right into there back when the current is minimal, my Owners will be here Wednesday, I must admit never had to sharpen them they were like razors out of the package and they never rusted, each tournament I put on new line , hooks the whole shebang and not once did we have a hook rust up after it was used, I save them and use them on CJ Brown when we are out there fishing..........Doc

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just in case

Doc

Just in case your hard to find big money hooks don't come in, I believe ya got some 5/0 kahles for back-up. Just touch up the hook points with Lynns hook sharpener:D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Why don't you try the mustad big gun hooks or the eagle claw saltwater circle hooks? I use the eagle claw saltwater circles and have yet to lose a fish.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
i'm with you bb,i can't see where the big deal is as long as the hooks are sharp...i probably use them all and i have never had a hook failure,this is my least concern behind line and anything else that can fail

·
Registered
576 Posts
BPS has them

Doc, I was just there a few days ago (Monday), they have a good stock, I did notice they changed the packaging. Maybe it's just your supplier who's not carring them ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts