Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got word that my food plots might get sprayed.. They are supose to be killing the veg. along the powerlines. I have 300yd's by 50 yd's of plots I put together last fall and is still going strong.

The land owner called and told them about the plot's but who knows how it will turn out.. He said they din't seem to care. If it happens soon I will re-plant again which could be good. I will get to re-do a few thing's... I would rather not tho.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I just got word that my food plots might get sprayed.. They are supose to be killing the veg. along the powerlines. I have 300yd's by 50 yd's of plots I put together last fall and is still going strong.

The land owner called and told them about the plot's but who knows how it will turn out.. He said they din't seem to care. If it happens soon I will re-plant again which could be good. I will get to re-do a few thing's... I would rather not tho.
If u can replant by end of the month it'd be ok

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
80 Posts
not to hack the thread but you seem to know about food plots, so if youre ok with answering these questions it would be greatly appreciated. first off, what do you normally plant in these plots? should you always fence them off to begin? if so when do you take fence down? and last, how much does it normally cost to plant one? thanks a ton and good luck hunting this year!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

What company is doing it?
I may know the owner.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
The plot that I have on this Urban land is a mixed.. The reason being: The plot's are on power lines that were 20 years old with growth. I had cleared out a 75ydx30yd plot which I planted Heart land rack maker Plus...($35 for an half acre) It is good stuff.
The power lines were cut, next week will be a year. I then took some of DarronB's mix's and planted patches of Turnips,radishes, kale and rapes.(1st mix) (around $35 for 10lbs I think)Everything else was planted in winter rye, ladio clover and winter peas.(2nd mix) (at the most $100 for 50lbs rye, and the 50lb's of peas and 2 types of clover, enough for an ac. or two) on the other side (bedding site) I planted yellow clover with rye and sorgrum. The sorgrum didn't come up to good but it was planted to early this spring..

Oats wheat or rye is all good to plant Deer IMO prefer the first two a little more but rye has a built in natural weed preventitive. which helps with the replanting.

Hope this help's

Jericho I don't know who is doing it. My property butts up to the lines but the owner (bets friends father in-law) got a call or a letter. Other than that I don't know.. I talked to the owner today, he thought they may have already done it..(they didn't) I kind of hope the clear some of it because the top of the hill is full of Wild grape and a new evasive vine called asia bitter sweet that is getting thick.. I spent 2 hr's yesterday with a string trimmer cutting the plots back but I have more work to do. I wanted to make noticable for them. That way they would see that it is a food plot.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Find out who it is.
My buddies uncle runs most of the crews that spray around here.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you could that would be great.. Last year when they cleared them They avoided a stand on the edge of the lines and the avoided my original plot also.. (the heartland plot)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm just tryin to figure out where it is sos I can go poachin!

Just messin of course.

hahahahahaha! oo yeaa, lemme know my numbers ......pm sent

Ill hold the light!

haha just joking wildman, hope you get it all workout.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Did u get permission first to plant on the power line? I know when I asked the gas company to plant on the gasline that runs through my place they said yes and said they would avoid spraying that section.

I was notified this year they will be digging up portions of the gasline around me. Hopefully it's not in my section.

I would call or have the owner call. That's a lot of $ to be thrown away

Another option could be to post your plots (Food plots do not spray)

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
There is a power line owned by the electric company directly behind my house lot. I have a free lease on the property limited to use as "lawn and garden". The electric company will give me 3 days notice to remove crops. I have gotten a lot longer notice when they intend to remove trees.

In your situation, you are doing them a favor, eliminating tree growth where your plots are. You might want to put up some do not spray signs, maybe some yellow caution tape.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No spraying yet.. I string trimmed for two hours a week or so ago. I knocked most of the weeds down I also trimmed the clover and chickery. I am always amazed when I get my cam chip at how much they brows on the plots. If they are going to spray I hope they do it soon so I can replant.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have not sprayed yet so I took a chance and threw out to over seed the plot with 50lbs of winter wheat 25 lbs of winter peas along with some turnips rape radishes and kale. Lets hope they don't spray and it rains. I douldn't think that they would being so late in the year... I also saw 2 nice bucks in the plot around 5:30pm as I pulled up to the powerlines... Build it and they will come!

Will the rye that went to seed over seed it's self?

·
Registered
502 Posts
overseeding

Yes, the rye will overseed itself. Anything that goes to seed for that matter will overseed itself somewhat.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats what I thought I just wanted confermation. So I will have rye winter wheat clover winter peas and The Brassica mix... :bouncy: I hope it comes up and doesn't get sprayed...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Wildman did u rip up the ground befor planting??? If not two of r fields are mowed very short rite now maybe 2 1/2 inches tall 3 at most could I throw out winter peas and winter wheat or winter rye and it take off??? If so ill do it this coming weekend

1 - 20 of 22 Posts