Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I put in for the 5 River parks hunt near Dayton and I need to select 7 properties to choose from which to hunt. Wondering if anyone has ever hunted these properties and could offer advice which one to put in for. I have to select before this Sunday. Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've never hunted Sugarcreek but I live within 100 yards of it and run the trails pretty much every day. It's my understanding that the deer will basically bed on the hill along private to avoid the hunters, they figured it out years ago. In my 11 years of living here I've seen 3-4 true monsters in the field across the street, basically Bill Yeck Park. Not saying they aren't there. I consistently get pics of small bucks in my yard and there is definitely a genetic trait that leads to a deformed left antler with little to know points and mass, it's really weird. All of this being said I've seen more deer on my runs this year than I have in previous years but they've all been does with fawns to this point in the year which is normal. I don't see bucks on that side until the rut starts picking up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I participated in the Metro Park hunt the prior two seasons. Congrats on getting drawn, it's a fantastic program and is run very well.

I've hunted Carriage Trails (area C) and Aullwood. I do not recommend Aullwood, it is too small of an area with too much hiking traffic on the trails. I had 4 separate instances of deer moving my way and getting bumped due to hikers on the trails.

Carriage Trails can be a nice spot, but in years past there have been a few guys that hunt there every year and it's tough to find a spot they haven't locked up. With the new way they did the lottery this year, I'm not sure if that will change anything.

Germantown and Taylorsville usually have the highest harvest counts but are also the largest areas. Carriage Hill, Englewood, Sugarcreek, and Upper Twin would round out the top spots as far as the harvest numbers go. Shiloh Woods, Medlar, Huffman, Shoup Mill, and Pigeye tend to have much lower harvest numbers.

My recommendation would be to pick the spot that you can hunt the most, from the top areas for harvest numbers, and then hunt there. Needless to say, you need to be out in the field often enough to give yourself a good chance at getting a deer, so the closest of the top locations would get my vote.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Chopiq,
Feel free to message me and exchange phone numbers.

I am a long time team leader with the program and I've hunted pretty much every area.

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. Irishhacker I'll send you my number. Looks like Taylorsville Germantown and Carriage Hill have the highest deer kills, but they have about twice the people hunting. I averaged the deer kill with the amount of hunters for each area and they all look like its about two deer for each hunter at each area.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
I hunted Sugarcreek a few years back, had lots of horseback riders riding through the hunting zone where they were not suppose to. Most deer movement was at sun up. Good luck...

·
Registered
830 Posts
I hunted Sugarcreek a few years back, had lots of horseback riders riding through the hunting zone where they were not suppose to. Most deer movement was at sun up. Good luck...
Only 2 parks where that is possible.. Sugar Creek and Carriage Hill. Its a fantastic program! FYI-- The biggest bucks are taken from Sugar Creek year after year..

·
Registered
780 Posts
Only 2 parks where that is possible.. Sugar Creek and Carriage Hill. Its a fantastic program! FYI-- The biggest bucks are taken from Sugar Creek year after year..
The genetics and lack of hunting pressure are definitely in the mix for Sugarcreek. Everything around the park is small parcels with some big farms mixed in. There are some places that get hunted but not many, especially right next to the park.

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was drawn to hunt Shiloh woods. I looked at last years kill and it’s not to good. I plan on scouting it this weekend or next. I guess I shouldn’t complain I watched the drawing and I was one of the last three drawn. It sits on the Stillwater river so I guess I’ll scout along that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts