Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty nice afternoon to be in the woods but a little warm at 83, clear & sunny, with a slight breeze at 12:43. It started out at 12:46 with a bushy showing up to my left but out of range. I kept watch hoping it would come in. Nope. At 13:05, another popped up walking down a small fallen tree to my right. No shot & it disappeared. Another crossed in front of me well out of range at 13:34. The wind also picked up quite a bit.

I needed to stretch at 15:00 so I walked to my deer stand, refreshed the molasses, & swapped out the card in my trail cam.

I gave up at 17:00. The foxes were definitely not on the same page as I was. In fact, I suspected they were reading a whole different book. I saw more squirrels inside the 1st hour than I did the rest of the afternoon, 3-0.

Reactions: bluedog and jethro

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a spot where the squirrels are in the hickories. I can hunt that spot for 2 to 3 hours and I am lucky to get one or two shots. Just too many leaves.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a spot where the squirrels are in the hickories. I can hunt that spot for 2 to 3 hours and I am lucky to get one or two shots. Just too many leaves.
Of the 8 I have seen this season, only 1 has been in the trees. It went up to a small open spot & I was able to get a good head shot. The rest have been on the ground.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like you get mostly fox squirrels. I have mostly nervous grays. I try to only take head shots with my pellet gun.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you get mostly fox squirrels. I have mostly nervous grays. I try to only take head shots with my pellet gun.
In the 15 years I have hunted this area, I have only seen 1 grey, only foxes & reds. The greys have all been citified.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts