Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ready to go on the north side of the woods at 06:10 A.M. with a temp of 64, a ½ moon, clear & still. The tweety birds were in full throat & flitted all around all morning long. I did have to fire up the T-cell as there were a lot of little bugs flying around. I called every 20-30 minutes with no responses.

At 06:30, I heard a hen calling behind me to my right. I called back but she didn’t respond. At 07:03, a hen walked into the field, stopped, looked at the blind, & hot-footed it back to the east woods. At 08:20, she came back out & fed all the way past the dekes right to left going west & into the north woods.

At 08:25, it sounded like WWIII has started on the south side of the woods. I couldn’t tell if the shots were actually in the woods or even further south. The 1st volley consisted of 12 shoots in rapid fire so it had to be a rifle of pistol. All told, there were at least 82 shoots between 08:25 & 09:00. I assume someone was target shooting.

At 10:28, a deer ran across the field a couple of hundred yards north of me & into the east woods. That brought my total of game seen to 1 hen & 1 deer with no gobbles.

I made it to 11:00 before I got bored & headed in with the temp at 78, sunny, high fluffy, white clouds, & a strong wind. Depending on the weather, I’ll hunt the north side again if it’s rainy, or the south side if it’s clear.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Always nice to be in the woods and watching hens is always enjoyable. Did you tell her she needs to bring her boyfriend? 😊

We have a few target shooters like that near us. Every time they shoot all I can see is dollar signs as all that ammo goes away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts