Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Day 19 of the 2017 Ohio Squirrel Season

807 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HunterGKS 
#1 · (Edited)
Young's Woods 09/19/2017 P.M.

I got to my spot at 12:31, 71, overcast, humid, & calm. At 12:49, a fox ran through the woods to my right & went into the undergrowth behind me. At 01:23, I heard something walking to my right & behind me. I turned my head & scanned the dead fall but saw nothing. A few seconds later I looked again, still nothing until I caught a tail flip on the side of a tree 10' from me about 15' up just below where the trunk forked. It was watching me & acting real nervous so I had to hurry slowly. Any sudden or jerky movement & I knew it would be gone. I was able to slowly shoulder the .17 while taking the safety off. Luckily, I got his head in the crosshairs & he hit the ground.

This mushroom was right next to the log where I took the pic of the bushy. I thought it was kinda of cool looking.

I had planned to move to my deer stand at 03:00 but the wind was picking up & it was getting cloudier so I headed to the stand at 02:30. I replaced the card in my trail cam & pulled some weeds that were causing to camera to go off in the wind. I sat down & within 10 minutes, say a tail moving up the root of a dead fall right next to the stand. I have tried to get squirrels on that stump before with no luck. I was able to turn a little & scooch down in my chair, get the rifle out the side window, the scope on the fox, & added her to the pot at 02:43.

The 1st pic is looking out of the right side window & is basically how I had to shoot. The 2nd is the whole stump.

The last pic is of my new tailgate getting bloody again as so many have asked to see. LOL

The T-cell ran out of butane & the pad was finished at the same time, 03:45. I took that as a sign that it was time to head to the house so I did.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.