Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turn out the lights, the party’s over. Stick a fork in me, I’m done!!!!

After many false starts this season, I managed to convince myself I needed to get into the woods for only the 3rd time. The tweeties were in full throat as I walked back to my blind & serenaded me all morning. I was ready to go on the south side of the woods at 05:48 A.M. with a temp of 53, partial overcast skies, & s stiff breeze. I had changed a medium weigh jacket for a light weight which was a mistake. The wind made it pretty chilly.

At 06:40, an owl glided silently in landing in a tree near the dekes. It sat for a couple of minutes before leaving as quietly as it had come in. At 08:26, a fox squirrel foraged around to my right & wandered into the marsh.

I had been calling off & on all morning with no response, which didn’t surprise me. Then, at 08:28, I heard a gobble behind me to the NW fairly close, which did surprise me. He responded to almost every call I sent out getting closer. Then, out of the blue clear sky, 2 gobblers & a hen came in from my left. At 1st, I though it might be 2 of the jakes that have been seen in the area. I thought to myself, self I thought, a jake may have to ride home in the Lean Mean Red Machine. Then I noticed a long, hangy down thing on his chest. He ran towards my jake deke & I stopped him within a couple of yards of the deke at 08:32. He was a dandy tipping the scale at 22 lbs 6 oz., with a double beard I hadn’t noticed until I pulled the 1st 1, beard 1 = 11”, bird 2 = 9 ½”. The right spur = 1 3/8” & left 1 ¼” both where hooked & needle sharp & I have a couple of holes in my hands to prove it.

It felt good to break a 5 year drought in Ohio. It took about an hour to get both blinds taken down & everything loaded on the 4-wheeler which ended up with a flat front tire. It was still pretty breezy with clear skies & a temp 0f 68 at 09:30.

The only down side was that my camera has been giving me problems s& I can’t focus properly so the pics are fuzzy.

Plant Bird Terrestrial plant Organism Grass

Vertebrate Organism Bird Grass Mammal

On to squirrel season on Sept 1.

Bird Phasianidae Leaf Sky Black

This pic is from my trail cam & 2 of the 3 jakes that roam the area. This was the only turkey pic I got.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Way to get er done! Sounds like you earned that bird. I have out only been out a couple of times this season. Enjoyed the experience but never even heard a gobble. Love your squirrel season comment. Your posts last fall got me to get back into squirrel hunting after I bagged a buck early. I have found I prefer squirrel hunting over archery in my old age. Lots less work when you score. Man them squirrel are good eating when cooked properly. How you cooking that bird?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Way to get er done! Sounds like you earned that bird. I have out only been out a couple of times this season. Enjoyed the experience but never even heard a gobble. Love your squirrel season comment. Your posts last fall got me to get back into squirrel hunting after I bagged a buck early. I have found I prefer squirrel hunting over archery in my old age. Lots less work when you score. Man them squirrel are good eating when cooked properly. How you cooking that bird?
Thx. I just didn't have my usual enthusiasm this spring as I usually do so it was great to score such a nice bird. I breast out my birds but keep the legs, thighs, & literally get as much meat as possible off the carcass. I'll pressure cook the dark meat & scraps & probably make some turkey salad for sammichs. I'll vacuum seal each breast separately but don't know what I'll do with it. Time will tell.

Glad I could bring you back into the squirrel hunting fold. LOL I enjoy just kicking it in the woods & getting a few squirrels here & there. I have a lot of squirrel recipes posted. You should check them out. I take several whole bushies to my buddy in NY & he fricassees them.

Thx again.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Great bird G...congrats!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
congratulations, love this! i've always enjoyed your reports .. now we're all waiting to see what kind of good recipe you share involving this bird !!
Thx. I'm gonna try for the turkey salad tomorrow & will post a recipe. Not sure about pics as my camera has pretty much crapped out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts