Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven past this preserve many times but have never stopped. On the drive home from the oral surgeon today, I decided to check it out while eating my Subway Sandwich lunch before heading to “my” squirrel woods for some bushy hunting.

They do have paths through the area but I didn’t walk any of them except to check out the big burr oak near the entrance. It’s huge! I’m not sure what all the other trees are but, based on the signage, I would guess that they are mostly if not all burrs.

As an aside, I’ve never seen “savanna” spelled that way. I’ve always spelled it “savannah.” Maybe that’s the way they spelled it back in the day.

Property Photograph Leaf Plant Vegetation

Plant Sky Cloud Vehicle Plant community

Plant Sky Cloud Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very interesting! Glad to see a natural area being preserved. We don’t have enough grassland in Ohio that is not mowed for hay or pastured. And when we do get grassland, as in a reclaimed mine area, for example, the clueless DNR will organize a tree planting team to plant rows of new saplings - as if we don’t have enough wooded areas!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting! Glad to see a natural area being preserved. We don’t have enough grassland in Ohio that is not mowed for hay or pastured. And when we do get grassland, as in a reclaimed mine area, for example, the clueless DNR will organize a tree planting team to plant rows of new saplings - as if we don’t have enough wooded areas!

The sad part is that it used to be 192k acres & is down to 74 with this tract 1 of the largest with 34 acres. I don't know what happened to the rest but I would expect it is farm land.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts