Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2,319 Posts
if you put the right seasoning on a turd....
....its still a turd.
Thats what Im tryin to tell these guys, they just dont want to hear it.
Ill tell ya guys what, kill ya one and cook it like you would dove (well how I cook dove, fast in butter) and let me know how it is.
Ill never eat it again...willingly.
Someone said it was the handling of it. It went from feather to hot skillet full of butter in about ten minutes. That had absolutely nothing to do with it. It just plain tastes like ****. Probably why not many have ever tried it. Its almost as bad as chitlins, but not quite.

· Premium Member
7,366 Posts
I see only one way to take this a step further...next time I catch a carp, I am filleting that bad boy. I'll even let you eat it! :D:whistle:

· Registered
2,177 Posts
TheCream I see only one way to take this a step further...next time I catch a carp, I am filleting that bad boy. I'll even let you eat it! :D:whistle:
ShadowLurker Crow-carp-kabob!
Might as well throw in a side order of **** poop!:biggrin:

Lurker- Glad you liked it. You are an adventurous dude!

· Super Moderator
1,497 Posts
If God didn't want you to eat a crow, then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Congrats on the kill and the gutzo to eat it.
Based on this logic, we should be cannibals!:coco: I have always wondered why we eat bears but not crows. I am now gonna have a go at OFC, Ohio Fried Crow.
I have eaten a few groundhogs. The adults are very greasy. The young are very good imo.

· Registered
452 Posts
I wont pull the trigger on anything, other than non native species, and not eat it. Just immoral in my opinion. They may be a pest for some reason, but they were around before we were. I have never hunted crow, but the more i see them around, im itching to try it. So ill let you know my opinion when it happens.

By the way, whats the deal with only friday sat and sun being the only legal hunting days for crow?

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
By the way, whats the deal with only friday sat and sun being the only legal hunting days for crow?
Federal law restricts how many days a year crow can be hunted due to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Some states leave it up to the hunters to govern themselves. Some states have a short continuous season. Our state decided to split that season up over a longer period of time. It kind of sucks, but I like it better than having a short continuous season.

More information here: http://www.crowbusters.com/begart5.htm
Crow busters is a great crow hunting and eating resource.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Popped a few this weekend between squirrel hunting. I tried them boiled this time and I also saved the legs, then added them to chicken noodle soup mix. It was pretty tasty. My friend said the meat tasted like roast beef. I mentioned lamb before. I think I'll put the meat in a gyro or something next time, or maybe a Reuben sandwich. The meat on the legs is tougher than the breast meat, which was to be expected. Tastes the same though.

23,104 Posts
What I liked about him, was the topics he brought to the table- Some were off the wall, and some were "intriguing". His mind was always working and "researching" areas of interest and expanding on them.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
He did things, tried things, and thought of things any one of us wouldn't dream of. He had to have a lot of friends, how could someone not like him.

I always had the impression that he would have done anything he could for someone, even if he didn't know them.

He was a different person for sure, an innovator of sorts. He didn't live far from us, I wish I just had an opportunity to share some "crow", or whatever else, with him.

· Registered
4,073 Posts
He did things, tried things, and thought of things any one of us wouldn't dream of. He had to have a lot of friends, how could someone not like him.

I always had the impression that he would have done anything he could for someone, even if he didn't know them.

He was a different person for sure, an innovator of sorts. He didn't live far from us, I wish I just had an opportunity to share some "crow", or whatever else, with him.
:thumbs_up:

· Registered
1,943 Posts
This was one of his classics. A couple of months ago, my son decided he'd like to try shooting, then eating, a crow. Almost immediately I remembered this post. After some digging, I found it and shared it with my son. I think Shadowlurker became an instant inspiration.

He still hasn't bagged a crow but still insists on trying it, figuring, if it's good enough for Shadowlurker, it must be good enough for him.

23,104 Posts
This was one of his classics. A couple of months ago, my son decided he'd like to try shooting, then eating, a crow. Almost immediately I remembered this post. After some digging, I found it and shared it with my son. I think Shadowlurker became an instant inspiration.

He still hasn't bagged a crow but still insists on trying it, figuring, if it's good enough for Shadowlurker, it must be good enough for him.
Yes it was- RIP ShadowLurker!:thumbs_up:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts