Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked some of you guys for suggestions a month or two ago and it paid off. I'm finally able to repeatedly call crows in for about 2 hours after daybreak every time I go out. I just can't hit them all. This morning for example, I called in about 20, had good shot opportunities for 5, and missed 4 of them. I'm not too happy about it, but a month ago I could sit there all day and not get a single one to come in. I'm learning though.

I tend to shoot too early because I get excited and I think they won't come toward me. When I'm patient, I hear plenty of thuds.

Anyway, I'm a "eat everything I shoot" type of guy and I thought you guys might like the pictures. Honestly, crows aren't all that bad to eat. They taste more like lamb than anything for some reason. Given the choice between a crow and a panfish, I'd take the crow.

I find that 1 crow = 1 skewer of meat if you just cut the breast out. There's meat in the legs, but I'm not starving. The yotes can have the remains. A dozen crows can make quite a meal. As you can see here, I cut a little high when I was pulling the breast out. But otherwise, the cut comes out pretty clean.

*This isn't really a "recipe" so I put it in this sub-forum. I hope that's OK.

· Registered
576 Posts
dont know if i could ever bring myself to eat crow, but i think that its cool that you gave it a shot. those pics give you strait live of the land kinda vibe though lol. congrats glad to see your enjoying the sport! good luck in the future!

· Registered
16,240 Posts
I asked some of you guys for suggestions a month or two ago and it paid off. I'm finally able to repeatedly call crows in for about 2 hours after daybreak every time I go out. I just can't hit them all. This morning for example, I called in about 20, had good shot opportunities for 5, and missed 4 of them. I'm not too happy about it, but a month ago I could sit there all day and not get a single one to come in. I'm learning though.

I tend to shoot too early because I get excited and I think they won't come toward me. When I'm patient, I hear plenty of thuds.

Anyway, I'm a "eat everything I shoot" type of guy and I thought you guys might like the pictures. Honestly, crows aren't all that bad to eat. They taste more like lamb than anything for some reason. Given the choice between a crow and a panfish, I'd take the crow.

I find that 1 crow = 1 skewer of meat if you just cut the breast out. There's meat in the legs, but I'm not starving. The yotes can have the remains. A dozen crows can make quite a meal. As you can see here, I cut a little high when I was pulling the breast out. But otherwise, the cut comes out pretty clean.

*This isn't really a "recipe" so I put it in this sub-forum. I hope that's OK.

Dude..... You are the MAN!!!!! Not only are you literally eating crow, but you BBQ'd em over a wood fire. Next time try using some BBQ sauce or Terriyaki.

· Registered
1,901 Posts
Dude that's just hardcore.
U da man.

I'm like you, ya gotta eat what ya shoot, unless it's a varmint.
A crow is a varmint.
But I guess if'n I wuz hungry, now I know the breast is edible.

· Registered
2,319 Posts
Trust me. You dont want to ever eat crow.
Last year I was out at my cabin and had always heard how bad crow is so I decided to try it for myself.
Long story short.
I shot one.
Breasted it out while some buddys watched (they also had never had crow).
Got me some butter, salt and pepper (I was going for the actual taste).
Put an iron skilet in the fire, got it pretty hot.
Pulled it out, cooked the crow fast and hot.
Cut off a piece of breast (saving some for my friends).
Popped it in my mouth...
It took everything I had not to spit it out.
I played it off like it was the greatest thing on earth (trying to get these other guys to partake, no one did...YET).
I pretended to eat another piece and then claimed the crow was all mine (well that got em interested).
My buddy Ben grabbed a chunk, popped it in his mouth, started chewing and then spit everytihing out.
He was like "***", That tastes like ****!"
I just sat back and laughed.

Im sure with the right "covering" its tolerable, but crow, actual crow...tastes like hot garbage.

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im sure with the right "covering" its tolerable, but crow, actual crow...tastes like hot garbage.
Well, every man is entitled to his opinion. Cooking it the way I did though, I thought it was pretty tasty. I've never been picky about the type of meat. Fresh meat all tastes good to me. To each is own I guess.

· Registered
1,200 Posts
Well, every man is entitled to his opinion. Cooking it the way I did though, I thought it was pretty tasty. I've never been picky about the type of meat. Fresh meat all tastes good to me. To each is own I guess.
"To each their own" is absolutely right brotha man!!

Crow is not my thing and maybe not even up my alley, but shooting is, and so is enjoying the great outdoors!

Great thread, I enjoyed the read and the best part is, you had a freakin' blast doing it and couldn't wait to tell us all about it! IMO, that bird is a trophy for you!

keep 'em comin'!! great job and great story of success!!

· Registered
374 Posts
Nice is that a Remington semi-auto you are using?
It's a Browning Auto-5, the Light Twelve model. EDIT: Actually yeah, I didn't realize it was also marketed as the Remington Model 11 too. Thanks Wikipedia.
Wow, You're the man. Is Opossum next on the menu?
If I shoot one, I'll give it a go. I've never seen any during the open season though.

· Registered
49,810 Posts
i had crow back in 1967 or was it 1966...we found a recipe in one of the 3 major outdoor hunt/fish mags...it was called smothered crow(recipe)...they just raved abot how good it was...so we kilt a crow...brought it home an my buddies mom made it according to the recipe...not sure what kinda gravey it was on it but it was delicious...
on another note...if they still have it...the chauncey amvets have a wild game feast once a year...or they used to...muskrat,skunk,snake,turtle ,deer,rabbit,squirrel,etc......if its out there they have it...and its all very tasty:D

· Registered
14,755 Posts
I've eaten crow before, just not exactly that kind...he he he :D

Seriously if it swims, flies or roams the wild I think I'd try it at least once. I'm a meat eater and proud of it. Some I do/would like better than others but most time it is in your head and the rest is preparation from field to table. You kill a crow or two or three and then immediately breast them out and get the meat in a cooler on ice same as any other meat or fish you plan to eat when it's warm outside. If you've eaten bad crow chances are the handling of the animal was bad. How recently have I eaten crow? I ain't killed one in 25 years...lol

· Registered
6,528 Posts
Good job there dude.I would give it a try. I tried groundhog once, didnt care for it. But Im not the best cook in the world. I will say this I dont care for lamb so if thats what it tast like you can have it. But on the other hand BBQ sauce makes everything good.

· Registered
422 Posts
if you put the right seasoning on a turd....
....its still a turd.

seriously, it looks tasty, I'd be willing to give it a shot. think I'd rather have mine with franks red hot though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts