Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently I have been pounded about these 2 subjects:
Crossbows
How many hunters out there feel there are too many crossbows in the woods now killing and wounding too many bucks before they get a chance to reach maturity, a lot of my hunting brothers and sisters are saying everywhere they go there are kids and adults sitting under every other tree with a crossbow, use to be handicap allowance( these are tons of replies sent to me, and told to me by the hunting public) I have to say personally I have seen a lot of the same where I’m at, deer on my trail cameras with crossbow bolts sticking out of them. I personally feel they need to restructure the crossbow season to handicap all season use, and limited season and age use not during the peak rut, that is when I see a lot of wounded crossbow shot deer, and no I’m not a crossbow hater I have one, but it is obvious they are out of control.

Out of state hunting and leasing
I get pounded by this subject by land owners and hunters
It simply needs fixed
My area is loosing a lot of hunting access by landowners because of the trouble by gangs of people trespassing all over their land.

Note: These are subjects I hear by the hundreds daily by neighbors and local hunters

·
Registered
325 Posts
recently I have been pounded about these 2 subjects:
Crossbows
How many hunters out there feel there are too many crossbows in the woods now killing and wounding too many bucks before they get a chance to reach maturity, a lot of my hunting brothers and sisters are saying everywhere they go there are kids and adults sitting under every other tree with a crossbow, use to be handicap allowance( these are tons of replies sent to me, and told to me by the hunting public) I have to say personally I have seen a lot of the same where I’m at, deer on my trail cameras with crossbow bolts sticking out of them. I personally feel they need to restructure the crossbow season to handicap all season use, and limited season and age use not during the peak rut, that is when I see a lot of wounded crossbow shot deer, and no I’m not a crossbow hater I have one, but it is obvious they are out of control.

Out of state hunting and leasing
I get pounded by this subject by land owners and hunters
It simply needs fixed
My area is loosing a lot of hunting access by landowners because of the trouble by gangs of people trespassing all over their land.

Note: These are subjects I hear by the hundreds daily by neighbors and local hunters
Not me. I'd recommend xbow to anyone new to deer hunting.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You guys must be stacked on top of each other to hear hundreds daily . Is there a giant apartment building in the middle of the woods you all share ?
Downtown Columbus?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not me. I'd recommend xbow to anyone new to deer hunting.
As long as it had the appropriate optical scope. Peep sights and red dot sights are very hard to master, if not impossible.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Head over to archerytalk and go through all the blood trail , bad shots, and need a tracking dog threads. 90 percent are from compounds. Think about it everyone's following these tv and YouTube channels about all these far shots so they automatically think it's possible and ok as well. Line up an xbow and a compound with 10 average Hunters let them shoot 3 shot groups at 50 yards and you'll see the extreme difference in groups. I use both so no hate either way . They're both great weapons for deer and if I had to recommend one to a new hunter that wanted to hunt in short order instead of practicing for a long period it'd definitely Be an xbow.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too use both, I personally like both, but a lot of hunters I’m around in several counties have opposed opinions on crossbows, but none of them any issues with handicap use, I am handicapped but still try to use my compound when I can, the fact is with the additional motions to draw and make an ethical shot is far more challenging especially on the ground in the open , that is how I shot my 200 in class 21 point, but now as I said I do use my crossbows as well due to health issues, so I personally are ok with them in the right hands as with any weapon.
Head over to archerytalk and go through all the blood trail , bad shots, and need a tracking dog threads. 90 percent are from compounds. Think about it everyone's following these tv and YouTube channels about all these far shots so they automatically think it's possible and ok as well. Line up an xbow and a compound with 10 average Hunters let them shoot 3 shot groups at 50 yards and you'll see the extreme difference in groups. I use both so no hate either way . They're both great weapons for deer and if I had to recommend one to a new hunter that wanted to hunt in short order instead of practicing for a long period it'd definitely Be an xbow.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh Buckeye surely we can keep the ill founded claims of bow and gun hunting going. :) If redarrow and his frustrated band of empty handed complainers had any real experience, they would know that it is most exhilarating to shoot a whitetail with the most powerful gun available at 100 yds. Ahhh, the sound of the massive explosion, the smell of burnt powder, the stiff kick in the shoulder, and the sudden drop of the prey. And they would also know that it is 1000 times more challenging and exciting to shoot one at 10-20 yards with a crossbow or compound. Ohhh, the crunching of leaves as it walks in, the eye-to-eye contact where you have to read the reactions of the prey and function accordingly, and the arts of knowing how to be close enough to slap them on the rump and follow a blood trail.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please. Legal means to hunt is just that - legal means. Get off of your high horse here. You have an opinion, and it is just that - your opinion. We as hunters MUST get away from criticizing others who hunt using legal means. To continue to berate those that are using legal means only feeds the anti-hunters to eliminate those legal means that others use. Eventually leading to YOUR way of hunting being prohibited. Hunt the way you want to hunt - no issue. Others hunt the way they are able to hunt - no issue. Stop with your BS. Enjoy your hunts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well first off if you hunt you should be practicing with what ever weapon you choose. 2nd of all hopefully your first hunting ethically and know your limits for a good shot. Most shots are within 25 yrds in the woods anyway so not sure who would think of shooting farther than that to start. Hopefully all we hunter's do the right thing and stick together on issues that will affect us all in the years to come. Hunting is a freedom that is awesome to experience and a lifetime of memories in the making as well.

Good luck to all who hunt and fish!!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
IMO, crossbows hunters are a lot more accurate with their weapon than most longbow, compound bow shooters. Given a 40 yard target, I believe most novices with a little practice, could be just as accurate, if not more accurate, as any seasoned compound bow shooter. I have owned many compounds in my years of hunting, and a few crossbows, which I now own. I have made my share of bad shots with my compounds and have had wounded deer get away from me more than once in my 51 years of hunting. I have yet to have a deer get away with my crossbow, or have one run out of sight. Maybe it's because I am older, more experienced and more patient now than I once was, IDK. Not saying that a bad shot can't be made with a crossbow, but I believe that it is less likely. I think alot of deer that get wounded and escape, are shot by less experienced hunters who don't wait for the right shot or are shooting at ranges beyond their ability. Just my .02

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh Buckeye surely we can keep the ill founded claims of bow and gun hunting going. :) If redarrow and his frustrated band of empty handed complainers had any real experience, they would know that it is most exhilarating to shoot a whitetail with the most powerful gun available at 100 yds. Ahhh, the sound of the massive explosion, the smell of burnt powder, the stiff kick in the shoulder, and the sudden drop of the prey. And they would also know that it is 1000 times more challenging and exciting to shoot one at 10-20 yards with a crossbow or compound. Ohhh, the crunching of leaves as it walks in, the eye-to-eye contact where you have to read the reactions of the prey and function accordingly, and the arts of knowing how to be close enough to slap them on the rump and follow a blood trail.
I believe I know that feeling you could ask that 200 on her on my wall that I shot with compound bow, but he doesn’t say much these days, now you have a great day, me I guess I’m just complaining.
Redarrow7

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe I know that feeling you could ask that 200 on her on my wall that I shot with compound bow, but he doesn’t say much these days, now you have a great day, me I guess I’m just complaining.
Redarrow7
200 inch sorry, must correct that before I get complaints about my spelling

·
Registered
325 Posts
200 inch sorry, must correct that before I get complaints about my spelling
You can write the story on that one and put it in Huntergks's "Waxing Nostalgia" topic.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On that I agree
I can cut fletchings on my tenpoint viper at 50 yds, grab my Hoyt Redwrk carbon compound and do the same, at 63 yrs old I still prefer the more challenging compound because of the challenge of having to draw before shooting, with a crossbow pull the trigger, and yes too many people take long shots that they shouldn’t ( both xbow and compound ) I used to shoot water balloons at 100 yds with my compound, but would always keep my shots at the 35-50 yd—open corn field shot only at 50 yds
Too many things can go wrong with any archery weapon, twigs, leaves etc, especially late evening.
Redarrow7

1 - 20 of 25 Posts