Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed many new Crossbows on the market, that look and feel exactly like another makers crossbow! Just wondering if many of these crossbows are made by the same manufacturer and tweeked just a little bit and a different brand name but on them? Ive seen the Bruin Crossbow that shoots 410 FPS for 279.99 brand new on eBay! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Limited xbow experience but I believe tenpoint/Horton/wicked ridge are all under the same company, I would imagine others are much the same. Ive seen a few reviews on that model and they seem pretty well across the board, but I have not handled one myself and haven't dug very deep into learning the ins and outs of them.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
China can make anything with out a patent.. For the most part. Knock off rage. Bows,stands.. etc..

Once the companies with a patent catch up China company goes under. Bankrupt...

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you are thinking of buying a cross bow, I would never buy a new one. Cross bows like any other bow has been around a long time. That being said there are plenty of good used bows out there that shoot just fine. I, started shooting revurve bows. Then compounds came along. They started out with wheels now they have cams. Manufacrures keep trying to improve. Yes, they can to a extent. I, have a compound made buy Marten Archery. Bought it in 1977. It shoots vrey well to this day. Like I said you can buy new if you want IMO I think you will be wasting your money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A crossbow is a cross bow basically, they will all have a very similar feel, except this one. It is very different. Light in the front end, balance, very quiet and shoot a regular arrow.
13730980_1144345588936845_3855362352539615149_o[1].jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have great luck with discount and used hardware. If you want to pay for extra performance(accuracy, weight, stability, durability) go with the premium brands. However, I have an SAS Scorpii Compound from Amazon that is a tack driver. 90$ on craiglist. Stoeger p3000 which copies Benelli and Beretta guns can be found for $150. Paint it grab a full choke and you can hunt everything. Used Barnett Wildcat C3, absolute beast. $200. I have banged that thing up. Still shoots straight. Chinese stinger/magnus broad head copies that are 10 for 3 on Amazon and resharpenable. Pay attention to the specs. Allen sells great fixes at Walmart for under $15 to this day. You should not have to break the bank to get in the woods. Sure it's fun to play with the new toys but only a poor craftsman blames his tools.

A lot of the Chinese companies exist solely for copying and outselling foreign competitors based on tweaking expired patents. Some American companies are getting in on it and I'm sure the bigger Bowmakers own some of them (just like the firearm companies. I am unfamiliar with that brand, I stopped paying attention after I got geared up.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have great luck with discount and used hardware. If you want to pay for extra performance(accuracy, weight, stability, durability) go with the premium brands. However, I have an SAS Scorpii Compound from Amazon that is a tack driver. 90$ on craiglist. Stoeger p3000 which copies Benelli and Beretta guns can be found for $150. Paint it grab a full choke and you can hunt everything. Used Barnett Wildcat C3, absolute beast. $200. I have banged that thing up. Still shoots straight. Chinese stinger/magnus broad head copies that are 10 for 3 on Amazon and resharpenable. Pay attention to the specs. Allen sells great fixes at Walmart for under $15 to this day. You should not have to break the bank to get in the woods. Sure it's fun to play with the new toys but only a poor craftsman blames his tools.

A lot of the Chinese companies exist solely for copying and outselling foreign competitors based on tweaking expired patents. Some American companies are getting in on it and I'm sure the bigger Bowmakers own some of them (just like the firearm companies. I am unfamiliar with that brand, I stopped paying attention after I got geared up.
The Barnett Wildcats have been around longer then most and have always been a dependable X-Bow ! Some guys need to have the latest whistles and bells, most shoot well ! I have to say that the broadheads are much different in as far as accuracy. I can not get all of the Allen broadheads to shoot the same, and they are less durable then say the Excaliber bolt cutters that are 150 grains and very strong.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a Barnett Brotherhood Bone Collector that I purchased new for $400.00 three years ago. It shoots extremely accurate out to about 55 yards. Shoots 350 fps. No need to spend thousands of dollars on a crossbow IMHO. I use Carbon Express Pile Driver bolts and Rage Hypodermic crossbow broad heads. Works great for me

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Only $750 . Yea they can keep it

I believe your looking at the top level, Wicked ridge bows starts at 479$, I broke a limb on my WR warrior years ago in early November, they fixed the limb and returned it within a week at no cost......it was my mistake in how it was broke and I was ready to pay, I've emailed randy wood at ten point to buy replacement scope caps that got lost....he just sent me replacements free of charge. I believe 10 point top end are too expensive for what I need but they make a top end product. But to each their own

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Shop around; I got a Wicked Ridge Gen 3 package shipped to my house with everything including Accudraw for $400 including tax (Woodbury Outfitters). I was on no budget at all and still have my TenPoint Hybrid Elite that is 16 years old. Just couldn't justify spending more than $400 after looking at bows for 2 months and seeing the value here. Zero complaints with mine it drills tacks at more than hunting distance and the accudraw makes it so easy I can cock it sitting down without struggle. It has killed everything it has fired at out to 38 yards. I consider it a great deal.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like a smart*** (reading my posts); I apologize if anybody thought so. I was using my phone making short replies.

You should take your time and shop around though if looking for bows. Like I said I was looking at another $150 or more on the Wicked Ridge package I bought. I found that deal on Woodbury Outfitters after 2 months of looking at bows, shooting bows, etc. Couldn't be happier with the product and is 100% made in USA (northern OH). The TenPoint I have is 15+ years old and still shoots good so time will tell if the quality is there, but it appears to be well crafted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can buy Ravin r20 crossbow packages with 430 fps and It is one of the most rated crossbows in the world. Many of the hunters are running for it. The weight is also very convenient because many other crossbows weigh even more than this one. That means this is a very good crossbow to go for hunting without even getting tired.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts