Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a Barnett Revolution XS. I know it is an old crossbow, but it has been a great unit over the years. It has not been shot that much...probably less than 25 times per year. In the past he could shoot out to approx 25 yards without much drop in the bolt.

We were getting things sighted in last weekend. His Barnett was still very accurate with tiny groups....but now the bolt was dropping approx 3" from 15 to 20 yards, and then another 3-4" from 20 yds. out to 25 yds.

Question: What could be causing this? Something obviously has changed to go from a flat shooter out to 25 yds to what he is experiencing now...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No... it has been uncocked since last season....he stored it in a case, in his loft. Same Barnett bolts and Rage practice tips....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have an older Horton that does the same thing, shoots flat to 20yards and then drops 3 to 4. I figured it was getting old.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
New string, if you can find one. If that doesn't help, new cables, if you can find them.

If that doesn't work.......................

Get a new bow.

I have an old Horton, probly had for 15-16yrs. Had the same thing happen, had the string changed, and it was good as new. I have been told by several to change the strings at least every 3 years, regardless of how many times you shoot.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Has anybody had experience with the sa sports recurve crossbows?I have a neighbor boy looking at the model fever.Just didn't want him to buy something he shouldn't. THANKS

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I looked at them but found a nice horton hd 175 for cheap.. if it was me id buy a Barnett or wicked ridge if I bought new

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
374 Posts
My buddy has a Barnett Revolution XS. I know it is an old crossbow, but it has been a great unit over the years. It has not been shot that much...probably less than 25 times per year. In the past he could shoot out to approx 25 yards without much drop in the bolt.

We were getting things sighted in last weekend. His Barnett was still very accurate with tiny groups....but now the bolt was dropping approx 3" from 15 to 20 yards, and then another 3-4" from 20 yds. out to 25 yds.

Question: What could be causing this? Something obviously has changed to go from a flat shooter out to 25 yds to what he is experiencing now...
I know this is 5 months old but I bet the string stretched. You can actually twist the string a couple times to get it back to old form or just buy a new one.

·
Administrator
5,409 Posts
I always wondered how fast the limbs might degrade on an x-bow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i also have a horton, it,s about 4 yrs old, it also was getting slower, and dropping, just took it to local bow shop, had string and spacers on axle replaced, it shoots a lot different, faster, flater, it has the red dot scope on it ,now my 20, 30, and 40 yd dots are dead on, will not hesitate to shoot out to 40 yds,

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you can find one, make a new string. If it doesn't work, try replacing the cables if you can find them.

If it doesn't work, you can try......................

Purchase a new bow.

I have an antique Horton that has probably been in my family for 15-16 years. The same thing happened to me, so I replaced the string and everything was as good as new. Several people have advised me to change the strings at least every three years, regardless of how often I shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts