Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised in another thread, I got the kill on camera. I'm a little disappointed with the quality of my camera. It's several years old. I think it may be time to upgrade.

The story: Got to the blind at 0540, got set up and hit the call a few times. No answer. It was really windy. I would guess 25-30 mph winds. It was probably around 6 that I first heard this bird. I got the kill at 7:15. The next hour and 15 minutes was a roller coaster of excitement and disappointment. The wind made it so hard to hear anything. I would sometimes hear a gobble and it would sound closer and then farther away. I could not figure out if this turkey was coming closer or going out. I couldn't tell if it was responding to my calls or gobbling out to another hen. After what seemed like hours I knew he was close. His gobble sounded like it was in line of sight of my decoys. BUT then he was hung up. I think he was suspicious of my cheap wal mart decoys and he would not come in. It took every ounce of restraint not to try and peak my head out from the blind to look to the side. I wanted to see this thing bad and I knew he was RIGHT THERE. After about 20 minutes a hen walked in front of me. I knew it was on. Cross bow up, I was not going to take any chances on this one. As much as I wanted to see this guy strut around, as soon as I had a shooting lane, I shot. He took off running and he made it about 40 yards before he got tangled up in some brush.

Here's the video.

Now I'm tagged out. Oh well, who wants to go fishing? :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Awesome , totally awesome,way to go team mate.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Congratulations!! I was outside this morning and that wind was cold! I was just doing barn chores, but was thinking about how I was glad I wasn't hunting this morning. (Of course I was out on Monday LOL!). I really enjoyed both your videos. Now what are you going to do the rest of the season? :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts