Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I am new to Ohio as of Febuary and am In heavy search of private land to hunt. And I live in Hilliard, just west of Columbus. I am pretty much only a bowhunter except for turkey season when I will use a shotgun.
My question is that, in my search I have found that people will post on Craigslist who they are, what they are looking for, how responsible they are and so on, asking for permission to hunt private land. Does anyone see this as a beneficial tactic to gaining permission for hunting private land?
If so, why? If not, why not and what's a better option?
I don't think I can afford leasing and I've heard that public land can be a bit crowded/scary/dangerous to hunt. But maybe I'm wrong and bowhunting public land isn't so bad. I know I won't step foot on public during gun season... That's for sure.
Any feedback would be awesome!
Thanks!

·
Ohio Sportsman
1,991 Posts
I see an open invitation for coonskinner! LOL:biggrin:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
craigslist...:yikes:run for your life...better be careful what you get into there...craigslist is a good thang...its the scum coming on there abusing it...:nono:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Public Land

I would not waste your time at Darby Creek. It's very tempting to hunt there esp during bow season but too many other hunters, etc and they will ruin a bow hunt every time. Also during gun season, LOTS of once a year slug hunters are out in full force. I would look at going to SE Ohio if you do not secure private land to hunt.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I would not waste your time at Darby Creek. It's very tempting to hunt there esp during bow season but too many other hunters, etc and they will ruin a bow hunt every time. Also during gun season, LOTS of once a year slug hunters are out in full force. I would look at going to SE Ohio if you do not secure private land to hunt.
good advice...:biggrin:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've lived west side cols for over 25 yrs now
.bottom line..all resources in reasonable distances are overwhelmed..if u actually know or befriend a local good 4 you
If u go door knocking ..well best of luck.

Try east or south of Zanesville or drive south for 2 hours to public land that isn't as hammered by the hoarded

(I finally moved out onto my own land.
Biggest issue..yep local trespassers)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I figured I was going to have to get on the road and get away from Columbus. Not a lot going on around town here. I did some turkey hunting in Perry State Forest and saw some deer out there. Any pointers on Perry SF?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts