close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coyote Trapping with snares

Discussion in 'Ohio Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by kes2410, Sep 1, 2012.

1. My cousin and I just started to look into setting snares for coyotes. This is new to both of us and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

2. go to the ohio state trappers convention coming up next week at the Allen county fairgrounds in Lima . there will be demo's on snaring as well as snare dealers . plus plenty of experianced trappers to ask questions .

3. Make your own! I make 8 for under 15 bucks. I like fences...look for a trail that runs under a strand of fence or tree. They often use the same trails as deer but go low where a deer would jump. Otsa is great!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. go to trapperman.com or american trap talk forum and start reading. more info than any one man can retain. read ohio rules carefully, as all states have different rules. you can buy premade snares for alot cheaper than 8 for 15 dollars. also be careful around fences, as what you catch has a good chance of being dead(non targets) when you get there. if snare too long they can get hung up if they jump over fence.

5. Hey nothing against you I am a animal activist trying to save animals that people are killing for the fun of it not for food food purpose's and to use a snare is not hunting Im done

6. We are trying to save animals too.......the young fawns these coyotes are killing by the thousands. The coyote is a varmint with no preditors other than man. It is up to us to keep the population in check.

7. I'm from Lima area and not a fan of it either although I let a guy use them on some property my family owns. To each there own I guess. My feeling is if your close to the city I would think snaring would be okay since shooting a rifle wouldn't be safe. Im sure the guys who hunt coyote with dogs aren't too fond of it either.

8. If you are an animal activist, why are you on here? Coyotes are becoming over populated and are now entering cities and taking people's pets, you don't think we need to try to thin these varmints out?

9. Wow. What nerve these people have coming onto an outdoor forum. I hope these PETA pukes get what they deserve. We outdoorsman do more and spend more money than they ever will protecting and preserving the animals in the outdoors. Scum make me sick.

10. It's not hunting. Called trapping. I shoot every yote I see. They were brought east by insurance companies and other organizations. Don't belong here kinda like you don't belong on this site

11. And folks think I'm into conspiracy's.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Hope you guys aren't referring to me because I hunt the things myself as well. I just don't like snares, and that is just my opinion. Like I said before, I let a guy hunt on our property with snares, I was just stating my personal view. I agree with killing as many as these things as possible as well.

13. Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. Snaring coyotes can be very effective and efficient. Time of year and placement are the best key to aviod non-target animals. As said before trapping websites have info. Late season gut piles and carcass dumps are awesome!:biggrin:

15. As far as OH laws, all snares must have deer stops and be tagged. If you can find where they're crossing in fences, it'll be easy pickin. The problem with fence crossings is non targets. A great thing with a correctly set snare is that the size of the loop and height off the ground does a pretty good job of controlling what is caught... not exactly the case for setting holes in a fence. Find trails and make sure it's narrowed down so the yote doesnt bump the edge of the trap and knock it down. Come January or February, a little bit of yote gland lure works great. Not only does it bring em to the trail, but a little dab on something above the snare does a great job at keeping their head up to get it into the snare

The NUMBER ONE piece of advice for yotes is dont under estimate their intelligence. Wear rubber boots and gloves and make sure you de-scent your traps.

There are countless sets you can make with a snare and no real right or wrong way. Just play around and see what works for you and your location

16. nothing against you but kiss my whitetail!

17. Been known to leash train a few.... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you need any help with snaring stop by American Trap Talk and I will make sure you get the help you need!

Forrest....