Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I live in Lebanon ohio southwest ohio Warren County lately we've been hearing a lot of coyote howling at night in the woods behind my house in the subdivision. A lot of people around here have cats including myself that are out at night. My neighbor saw a coyote in her backyard a couple weeks ago around dusk she said it was very large and they think it's so easy kind of wolf coyote hybrid but I'm not sure about that. I haven't really done much hunting but I'm kinda interested in hunting some coyote. I have a good deal of experience shooting from what I understand I can hunt coyote pretty much year round with any weapon with a hunting licence or without one on my own land but I really don't have any land myself. First off is it legal if I just go into the woods behind my house and shoot a coyote if I were to see one? There aren't any no trespassing signs out there. How is the best way to go about finding coyote I read online to stay downwind of where you think they will come from and use some calls, I have also seen people hunting them at night with lights. Anyone in my area interested in trying to find some coyote with me?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hi, and let me welcome you aboard.

First off is it legal if I just go into the woods behind my house and shoot a coyote if I were to see one?
I strongly recommend that you successfully complete a local hunter's education class before you engage in any hunting activity. During your instruction, you will learn about property rights, permission slips, seasons and time periods for shooting coyotes and other game.

How is the best way to go about finding coyote
http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/finding-coyotes

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
If you don't own the property and don't have a signed permission slip from whoever owns the property, you may end up getting yourself in trouble.
Another thing to consider: Many municipalities don't allow discharge of a firearm in their city limits.
I regularly hunt coyotes. Have two rifles set up, lights and a FoxPro Fusion caller. None of which I'd care to surrender to the DOW for a poaching charge!!!
I'd strongly advise that you locate the landowner and go about this the right way.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I wouldn't say you have a problem unless animals come up missing and or alot daylight sightings with lack of fear from humans is evident like not hauling arse after yelling or walked towards. Probably hearing a family doing what they do. Young ones r learning. If u and neighbor's start finding alot of chit around your property/house marking territory. I'd look into getting rid of them. I'm all for killing coyotes. Trappings far more efficient than hunting. Looking for a person to learn from is a good step like u said......

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Double check your local laws regarding discharge of a firearm. Double check your common sense regarding discharge of a firearm near subdivisions.

Reactions: Bryan six

·
Registered
600 Posts
Depends, if you own your own land, yes you can walk back in on your own property and kill a coyote. if you live in an area that is rural and you are 500 ft from a dwelling. If not, you will need to get a hunting license, if you haven't been hunting and bought license in the last 20 years you will have to go through a Hunter's safety Course. If you live in a more suburban area, some you can hunt, but with a bow only. Good luck getting Yote in bow range. Yes, trapping is more effective. But again, you will have to go through a State run Trapping Course if you never trapped or haven't in the last 20 years....And you will have buy a trapping permit which is $15 plus the $19 hunting license...No, your hunting license only will not let you trap alone. And you must buy both. There is a so called apprenticeship Availability you can apply for to start as well. Yes, it's about the money.

IF your a land owner, the way I understand this, there is no requirement to go through any of this..But if you are new and have no other guidance, it would be a good Idea to go their courses at least.

Good luck and be safe. Here is the link to get you started.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting...ing-trapping-regulations/licenses-and-permits

Reactions: Bryan six

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
HI
I live in Lebanon ohio southwest ohio Warren County lately we've been hearing a lot of coyote howling at night in the woods behind my house in the subdivision. A lot of people around here have cats including myself that are out at night. My neighbor saw a coyote in her backyard a couple weeks ago around dusk she said it was very large and they think it's so easy kind of wolf coyote hybrid but I'm not sure about that. I haven't really done much hunting but I'm kinda interested in hunting some coyote. I have a good deal of experience shooting from what I understand I can hunt coyote pretty much year round with any weapon with a hunting licence or without one on my own land but I really don't have any land myself. First off is it legal if I just go into the woods behind my house and shoot a coyote if I were to see one? There aren't any no trespassing signs out there. How is the best way to go about finding coyote I read online to stay downwind of where you think they will come from and use some calls, I have also seen people hunting them at night with lights. Anyone in my area interested in trying to find some coyote with me?
Welcome to O.S.!! a good hunting mentor is the way to go!!! Knocking on doors will get you permission to kill coyotes on private land regularly!! You need your license first as HNO has said!! Find a hunters safety course and get your license first! Start knocking on doors now!! Randy Anderson has some great DVDs for coyotes, give ya look at what your trying to do anyway!! If you can get permission in some good areas, try farmers with big fields where you can see a good ways, after your LEGAL, set up, and have good areas, someone will take you up on the offer to hunt I'm sure!! Calling coyotes in Ohio at night is next to impossible unless you have big cut fields to scan!! I highly suggest morning hunts and evening hunts otherwise!! Good luck and get started soon, after deer season ends, the coyote hunting begins!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI
Not entirely sure on the legalities with just going out into the woods and shooting a coyote.

However, I can help you with hunting them. Get you a good e-call such as one of fox pro's calls and play a rabbit distress sound. rabbit distress is pretty universal to coyotes. I would also get you an outrigger outdoors predator hunting light (they are 10,000 lumen, remote control, can be red or white light) to set up on top of the call. Turn the light on red and wait for coyotes to light up when they come near the call. Coyotes don't pay much attention to the light when you have it on red.

Here's a good site for the predator hunting light: http://bit.ly/red-hunting-light

Hope this helps, keep us posted on how you do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im game to find some coyotes if anyone near centerville wants to. Or if any farmer wants some help contact me. Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts