Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drew a cow elk tag for far NW Colorado this November. I own 30-06, 6.5 CM, and .223. Plan to hunt with the 30-06. I own 150 grain, 165 grain, 180 grain, and 220 grain. All are Remington Core Lokt.
Looking for opinions on which to use. Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have no idea what 30-06 load to hunt with. But congrat's on the tag and good luck. It should be epic!

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
180 if it shoots well .What shoots best out of your rifle of the 3 165 -180 or 220 ? the 150 is to light . Not saying you cant kill a elk with it but its to light

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
165 is ideal for that size animal . I just like to side a little on the heavy side with cup and core bullets .and if you have to take a strong racking shot . Now with a Barnes TSX , TTSX or one of the other monolithic bullets a 150 grain would be just fine .

·
Registered
52 Posts
I, personally, will not shoot Remington ammo because of bad experiences in the past, but, I would opt for the 180 grain out of the 06. Excellent for Elk sized game IMO, but nothing takes the place of a well placed shot through both lungs. Congrats on getting drawn and best of luck, I hope you get a nice one!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I’d go with what the gun range shows you. Some can be dialed in on the target. Some are just ****ty spread patterns.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
One thing I was told a long time ago that I have stuck too is - Ammo is the cheapest thing you will buy on your hunting trip . And the bullet is the only real connection to the animal . So Why go cheap with the one thing that is going to kill the animal . Find the ammo that groups good out of your rifle and will expand and hold together for deep penetration . Over the years I have seen many cup and core bullets come apart . Yes the animal was recovered so the bullet did its job of killing the animal .Or I could have never seen the bullet came apart and didn't penetrate like I would have liked . I have seen a 165 grain Federal Fusion blow apart and find 5 holes on the off side of a 45 pound javelina . I have never had any trouble with a monolithic bullet . Have shoot the Barnes TSX . Federal trophy Bounded and the Hornady GMX . All have worked flawlessly .
I shoot 165 grain out of my 30-06 My rifle holds the best groups with 165 grain bullets . And 140 grain out of mine and my wives 7mmo8 . Both of these combos have taken game bigger than cow elk . On the other hand there has been a ton of elk killed with a Rem core lokt . Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts