close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coon dispatch?

Discussion in 'Ohio Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by RobbyB.96, Nov 12, 2017.

1. just wondering what everyone uses to dispatch their coons quickly? The only method I’ve been shown is hitting them on the head then standing on them hoping to find a quicker method.

2. .22 to the head

Kyle13 likes this.

3. Hit em on the head, then roll em over and hit em in the windpipe to break it . It's quick and no blood

4. I'll third the 22 to the head. I assume this is one you've trapped?

5. I watched primman kill one in one shot with a lead pipe...... in the kitchen. Sorry clue reference. But I always use the .22 as well.

6. .38 works as well but .22 cheaper still

7. [​IMG]

I perfer the compound bow action myself. And,,, you can always reuse the arrow. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Kyle13 likes this.
  8. lol! man that looks brutal! I had the same thoughts with coyotes, but if the move and you miss, kiss the arrow good bye. they will chew the crap out of them.

9. That's crazy. To me it's no different then a rat. If he had done the same to a rat would they arrest him?

10. Maybe ,and for sure if the rat was someone's pet . Now if it had been a muskrat trapped underwater it would be fine . As long as it was done in trapping season and they have a trapping permit . Guess that guy should have used a pellet gun to the head and fed it to the fish at night . Dang nosy neighbor .

11. I mean he did go way out of his way to dispatch it in that manner. If you're gonna dispatch something and go out of your way there are many other alternatives that won't get your neighbors panties in a bunch. Personally if I'm taking an animals life, first and foremost concern is to do it as humanly as I can and minimize suffering. There's lots of unknown variables here, maybe he is in a locality that doesn't permit shooting and/or has to contact animal control for any issues like this. Even for trapping for fur, it's one thing if the animal drowns before you get to it. Completely different story if you show up to it alive and choose a method that causes more suffering than necessary. And this will just be one more story making trappers that care to dispatch animals effectively without unneeded suffering look bad.