Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://coloradoskiesoutfitters.com/video-tutorial/fly-tying/hoodrat/

I tied a few of these as trials and used them yesterday on some bass. I got three explosions and landed one 12" bass. The color versions I tied were light tan and dark brown, light tan got the strikes yesterday. Very easy-to-cast pattern, easy to tie, durable, and looks great in the water! :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
mouse

Interesting tie, looks like it throw quite a wake. How is it for castability? The chenille underbody seems like it could hold a lot of water/weight.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting tie, looks like it throw quite a wake. How is it for castability? The chenille underbody seems like it could hold a lot of water/weight.
I tied it on a #2 Mustad 3366 for my trial patterns, so the body of the mouse is not huge. It casts much better than I expected with the chenille and the rabbit strip for sides, but it slings very well. I casted it on my 7wt, no issues. In larger sizes I may bump to my 9wt, I'd like to do a few in 1/0. Even in #2, it looks bigger in the water due to the rabbit strips adding some bulk to it at rest. It pushes more water than a true slider but less than a popper, the bass seemed to like it yesterday. Due to the rabbit and chenille with the foam back, it also rests low on the water, right at the surface.

I added a mono weed guard to mine, and also some black rubber rear legs to the 2 I tied last night. I tied in the legs after the foam, so when the foam is folded forward the legs protrude from the space between the top and side pieces of foam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I typically ty "Mouse Rat" but this pattern looks like it is a lot faster to tye. I have a great place for this one in my trial phase. Thanks Cream:thumbs_up:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts