Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After careful consideration and thought, I would like to retract any statements regarding leasing in Ohio I have made. I spent a good part of this spring and summer looking for a lease for some out of state buddies I swap hunts with. During my search I have discovered how corrupt the leasing system is. Its bad for hunting when Mr. Moneybags can lease half a county and sell $1000 weekend hunts. While I find no fault in individuals who leasr, the so called "outfitters" in Ohio are killing the sport and lifestyle we enjoy imo. While I still think leasing has its place, its place is not in Ohio. I will no longer support leasing because I believe the bad far outweighs the good.

Thanks to you on this site who provided good info and proven stats! Ive seen the light!

Through knocling on doors, painting fences, bailing hay , & cleaning gutters ive secured plenty of land for my wife, me, a few kids we mentor, & my 2 good buddies from out of state.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Awesome! Youll find that the painting, baling, etc will lead to better and more trusting relationships with property owners in the future. You learn alot about a man who works for what he wants, rather than just accepting his money. Congrats and cheers to good ethics my friend

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
After careful consideration and thought, I would like to retract any statements regarding leasing in Ohio I have made. I spent a good part of this spring and summer looking for a lease for some out of state buddies I swap hunts with. During my search I have discovered how corrupt the leasing system is. Its bad for hunting when Mr. Moneybags can lease half a county and sell $1000 weekend hunts. While I find no fault in individuals who leasr, the so called "outfitters" in Ohio are killing the sport and lifestyle we enjoy imo. While I still think leasing has its place, its place is not in Ohio. I will no longer support leasing because I believe the bad far outweighs the good.

Thanks to you on this site who provided good info and proven stats! Ive seen the light!

Through knocling on doors, painting fences, bailing hay , & cleaning gutters ive secured plenty of land for my wife, me, a few kids we mentor, & my 2 good buddies from out of state.

$$$ and big bucks ...$$$ and big bucks...$$$ and big bucks...$$$ and big bucks...in southern ohio you can take $$$ out of the equation and still get big bucks...on public land...you dont have to pay for a big buck...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah **** ....ive never paid to hunt. I have paid for land to bring friends. I dont want my friends to drive 400 miles and have them get busted out of their stands by goofballs wandering public land....yes that does happen. I enjoytaking kids hunting more than hunting myself. I havent had a bow in my hand on opening day for years. But its awesome to have 10 acres of urban private land to take a kid scouting, plant a foid plot, teach em to cut shooting lanes, hang stands....and its "their" 10 acres. The kids see more deer, I can take them any day after their school and they can hunt! Ya cant do that on public land where im at anyway. Yeah its turned into $$$ and big bucks....but dont get so focused on that, that u dont see we dont all live near huge national forests or land we can hike 2 miles to get away from other hunters.

Jb thx for the support! Lol

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah **** ....ive never paid to hunt. I have paid for land to bring friends. I dont want my friends to drive 400 miles and have them get busted out of their stands by goofballs wandering public land....yes that does happen. I enjoytaking kids hunting more than hunting myself. I havent had a bow in my hand on opening day for years. But its awesome to have 10 acres of urban private land to take a kid scouting, plant a foid plot, teach em to cut shooting lanes, hang stands....and its "their" 10 acres. The kids see more deer, I can take them any day after their school and they can hunt! Ya cant do that on public land where im at anyway. Yeah its turned into $$$ and big bucks....but dont get so focused on that, that u dont see we dont all live near huge national forests or land we can hike 2 miles to get away from other hunters.

Jb thx for the support! Lol

Agreed. :thumbs_up: The scenario you describe is perfect for young kids. A more controlled environment is better to get them started. Where they have a good chance to see lots of deer too. Kind of like taking a kid to a farm pond for their first fishing experience. Once they catch a few gills they want to put on a lure and go after a bass. I've been trying to find 10-15 acres of land to purchase for that exact reason. Put in a plot, set up a permanent stand that conceals movement etc..

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I was born and raised right on the edge of the wnf area I now hunt ...I grew up in those woods...it was an extention of my backyard ...:D

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
If you were on the eastern side of the state i could have provided a lead for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts