Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The July 31st deadline is coming up so I thought I would mosey over and make my annual application for controlled hunts.

From what I am seeing new this year:

1.There is only one gun hunt at Ravenna.
2. The Mosquito Creek hunts are any legal gun (in the past they were muzzleloader hunts correct?) Am I reading this correctly?

Also new this year, in order to sign up for the lottery, not only do you have to pay the $3 fee per hunt but you HAVE to buy a deer permit of some type too. If you don't get drawn, you don't get your money back from buying the deer permit.

Which leads to a question I have: I know you can use the management permits on controlled hunts. In the past, the lottery winner could take buck or antlerless and the partner could only take antlerless. Am I assuming correctly that the management deer permit could be used by the lottery winner to take either a buck or doe? I'm either really stupid this morning or this is as clear as mud. :LOL:

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking more about this, I would think this would cut down on the number of Amish applicants if every applicant needs to have a hunting license and a deer permit in order to even apply. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You are right about the mosquito hunt. I applied early in the month. At the time didn't catch that it was any legal firearm. Clearly it is now. Not sure if that is new this year but I recall it as a muzzy hunt in the recent past. Wonder why the change. I am sure they had no lack of applicants.

Reactions: Deehntr56

·
Registered
228 Posts
At one time I would apply tp a few hunts. I would fill out the app. send in my money. I thought there were supposed to be picked by lottery. I, also knew a few other guys doing the same thing. After a few uears of never getting picked, and some were getting picked picked every year, I stopped doing this.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Management permits are antlerless only, regardless of where you hunt. This is cut and paste from the booklet: "DEER MANAGEMENT PERMIT Deer management permits may be used to take antlerless deer."

They started the requirement to purchase a deer permit/duck stamp several years ago do reduce the number of people submitting their family members that don't hunt, their dog, their cat, the goldfish, or the mouse living in the wall. It was also done to keep anti-hunters from applying and not showing up if they won. This was just starting to happen.

There were a lot of changes this year. No Plumbrook again. My understanding is there is a new manager and they are not keen on hunting. Garfield (formerly Ravenna) has been reducing for years. I'm not sure sure why other than the population is settled in. They added several hunts as well. A lot more mentored hunts which is great for me because I have friends that just started hunting and have never killed a deer. My girls are grown so no more youth hunts for me.

As far as getting drawn, I had a year a long time ago I pulled a Magee on 10/30 and a Plumbrook on 10/31. Boy were we exhausted that weekend. Then I had a Mosquito Creek in January. I was drawn for an Eagle Creek a couple of years ago. I always tell myself that I'm not going to put in for as many and then when the time comes I do.

The only thing I wish is that people would look where the hunt is located and be honest if they will drive that far. Mercer is a perfect example. It's close to the Indiana border in SW Ohio, in the middle of nowhere, and no hotels close. If you live in Ashtabula Co and you aren't likely going to come down for it then don't put in for it. I don't put in for a Mosquito Creek waterfowl for this reason. I know people use them for trading but it's also not a highly prized one to trade for because of the distance. I am NOT anti-transfer/trade because I want to see them used, I've gotten several Mercers for this reason alone.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I drew an archery tag for Kiser Lake! Very excited for this. I have spent more time at Kiser Lake state park than any other. Many great memories there; hunting (waterfowl, sheds, mushrooms) and fishing!

How’d everyone one else do? I applied for 7 hunts and was hoping for a mentor deer hunt.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up not applying. I hemmed and hawed about signing up. It just felt weird to have to buy a deer permit (that I wouldn't normally buy because otherwise I hunt my own farm) in order to participate in the lottery. And part of it was that I did get drawn last year and hunted at Ravenna. So it's probably better to take my name out of the draw and give others a chance.

·
Super Moderator
3,107 Posts
I ended up not applying. I hemmed and hawed about signing up. It just felt weird to have to buy a deer permit (that I wouldn't normally buy because otherwise I hunt my own farm) in order to participate in the lottery. And part of it was that I did get drawn last year and hunted at Ravenna. So it's probably better to take my name out of the draw and give others a chance.
I did not apply either. Might be the first time in 2 decades. Honestly, the quality of the hunts was not worth it. I've been fairly lucky in getting drawn, but was not impressed with the hunts themselves, with one exception. Mosquito is the only hunt I would consider applying for in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts