Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Here is a perfect example of how concealed carry protects yourself as well as others.

Another repeat offender put back on the streets causing more crime.

It's too bad the mainstream media will never report examples like this though. Even in this article, It was buried in the middle and only mentioned in one sentence. It should have been the focus of the article. It would be nice to see examples like this get as much media attention as the Trayvon case.

I thinks it's good for people who carry to look at examples like this and ask yourself how you would have responded, then discuss them with others on what was good, and what could have been done better.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54003761-78/police-lake-salt-store.html.csp

Police Lt. Brian Purvis said that about 5:20 p.m. Thursday, Ly entered Smith's Marketplace at 455 S. 500 East and purchased a kitchen knife. He said Ly exited the store along 600 East.

A police news release said Ly stabbed a 30-year-old man "several times" in the abdomen, then attacked a 45-year-old man who suffered cuts to his arms and head. A probable cause statement added that Ly threatened and chased four other people in the parking lot.

A 47-year-old man with a man with a concealed-carry permit drew his pistol, ordered Ly to stop and held him at gunpoint until officers could arrive.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a little better media coverage of it.

It still sounds a little odd in calling the guy "gun carrying man". I'm sure he had a name.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...-lake-city-smiths/NDNrL1gxeE2rsRhrWCM9dQ.cspx

Then, before the suspect could find another victim - a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. "A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith's grabbed him."

By the time officers arrived the suspect had been subdued by employees and shoppers. Police had high praise for gun carrying man who ended the hysteria. Lt. Brian Purvis said, "This was a volatile situation that could have gotten worse. We can only assume from what we saw it could have gotten worse. He was definitely in the right place at the right time."

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Here is a little better media coverage of it.

It still sounds a little odd in calling the guy "gun carrying man". I'm sure he had a name.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...-lake-city-smiths/NDNrL1gxeE2rsRhrWCM9dQ.cspx

Then, before the suspect could find another victim - a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. "A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith's grabbed him."

By the time officers arrived the suspect had been subdued by employees and shoppers. Police had high praise for gun carrying man who ended the hysteria. Lt. Brian Purvis said, "This was a volatile situation that could have gotten worse. We can only assume from what we saw it could have gotten worse. He was definitely in the right place at the right time."
Maybe the guy didn't want his name published for some reason.

I'm sure they were glad he pulled his gun to stop the madness. Way to go, man-with-gun.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

RGJZ06

·
Banned
624 Posts
Disarming this man could have been done a number of ways including threatening him with a 2X4 or baseball bat. To imply that it took a gun is reaching a bit.

Although, since many here have spoken about not drawing their gun until ready to fire it, I wonder why this didn't end in murdering the man with the knife.

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Disarming this man could have been done a number of ways including threatening him with a 2X4 or baseball bat. To imply that it took a gun is reaching a bit.

Although, since many here have spoken about not drawing their gun until ready to fire it, I wonder why this didn't end in murdering the man with the knife.
How many people do you know that carry a 2X4 or baseball bat with them when they go shopoing at the market?

Your statements are ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I wonder why this didn't end in "the crazed attacker getting shot in self defense."

There I fixed it for you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
" murdering the man with the knife"....murdering?

I wonder if you would consider it "murdering" if he had stabbed you or a member of your family??? :irked:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Or maybe they could've just said, "pretty pleeeease..."

C'mon, man.

:nono:

·
Banned
624 Posts
My point was that there are other ways to stop a man with a knife. Many of us learned how in basic training.

Getting away from the man with the knife is also a good choice. Once everyone is safe, he's only a threat to himself.

There are lots of ways that this could have still ended well that didn't require a gun. Maybe that's why there was so little emphasis on the method used.

I'm not a lawyer, but a cop once told me that civilians have no real legal right to hold another citizen. I think the term "unlawful detailment" was what he used.

I'm also sorry to rain on this party, but to me... the story should be about how people simply got involved and stopped any further violence. The gun is unimportant.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My point was that there are other ways to stop a man with a knife. Many of us learned how in basic training.

Getting away from the man with the knife is also a good choice. Once everyone is safe, he's only a threat to himself.

There are lots of ways that this could have still ended well that didn't require a gun. Maybe that's why there was so little emphasis on the method used.

I'm not a lawyer, but a cop once told me that civilians have no real legal right to hold another citizen. I think the term "unlawful detailment" was what he used.

I'm also sorry to rain on this party, but to me... the story should be about how people simply got involved and stopped any further violence. The gun is unimportant.
I think what bugs you is that a concealed carry holder broke every stereotype you have tried to place on them. Those where you claim they are untrained cowards that don't have enough common sense or judgment to make split second decisions in times of crises. And that all people that carry are looking for a chance to fire their weapons.

Seems this guy did perfectly. I'd be willing to bet money he was ready to shoot the guy. Considering the situation, he would have been found justified.

He knew he had the upper hand and had the draw on the guy. From the report, it seems the guy complied rather quickly and the threat was ended. If the guy had continued the attack or lunged at the gun holder, I'm sure it wouldn't have ended so good for him. The best possible outcome occurred. Just the presence of a gun stopped the attack without a shot being fired. And no one had to hunt around looking for a 2X4 while 5 other people got stabbed.

So what knife control laws do you think they are going to pass now to stop situations like this from occurring again?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I don't know if you've ever tried to hit someone with a 2x4, but it's rather difficult. If someone pulled a 2x4 on me, I'd laugh. So let's forget about the 2x4. A gun is a much better tool for the job, but you don't always have to pull the trigger.
Uh, and your cop buddy was wrong about detaining a person lawfully. Key word, lawfully.
Seems you've got some underlying issues with CCW holders.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Smith and Wesson and me. My wife even carries one now.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

RGJZ06

·
Banned
624 Posts
In the "Ohio Turkey Hunting" Forum there is a topic called: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, get caught up in the moment

The emphasis is on safety and how not to shoot each other in the field even while acknowledging that negligence on the part of long time hunters is their primary danger.

When I read discussions about CCW, it's usually an anecdote about how someone got to whip out his gun and use it. Thus justifying why others should carry too.

To the turkey hunters, safety was their foremost thought. Their stories centered around how NOT to shoot someone. CCW discussions usually include someone mentioning how they would have not hesitated and felt fully justified if in a similar situation. Their stories center on when TO shoot someone.

The emphasis seems wrong, the need seems exaggerated, and the stories never tell all the facts. Rather than argue, let's just be glad to disagree but still encourage any and all viewpoints.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How many times can we beat this dead horse.
Perhaps the site should open a concealed carry forum where stories like this can be posted, and this subject can be discussed. It seems there are more and more situations like this occurring across the country.

For those that carry, I think it helps to read about situations like this and be able to evaluate them with other ccw permit holders. One can see what was good, and what may have went wrong. It only would help to "train" those that carry in how to better respond if they happen to be placed in a similar situation.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Perhaps the site should open a concealed carry forum where stories like this can be posted, and this subject can be discussed. It seems there are more and more situations like this occurring across the country.

For those that carry, I think it helps to read about situations like this and be able to evaluate them with other ccw permit holders. One can see what was good, and what may have went wrong. It only would help to "train" those that carry in how to better respond if they happen to be placed in a similar situation.

Just a suggestion.
How about a big cup of STFU - jus say'n - dang :whistle::mischeif:

just a suggestion

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about a big cup of STFU - jus say'n - dang :whistle::mischeif:

just a suggestion
If I'd have wanted to hear a lot of hot air coming from a small opening, I would have lived up to my screen name.

If you don't want to discuss the issue of concealed carry, don't click on the thread.

Simple:D

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
If I'd have wanted to hear a lot of hot air coming from a small opening, I would have lived up to my screen name.

If you don't want to discuss the issue of concealed carry, don't click on the thread.

Simple:D
pppppppppfffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :yikes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.