Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Red Head Kronic. Bought it 4 years ago as my first bow. Looking to upgrade to a faster bow. What's the best bow out there for the money. Would love to buy a Mathews, but tough to swallow $900, not including accessories. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Mathews? quite a few people have goteten rid of them in my area.. And they were die hard Mathews guy's...

I would stay away from PSE they have problems with the limb pocket's..

I would say the Bowtech Insanity or the Hoyt vector turbo.. That is the speed bow's..

Look on archerytalk Classifieds you can find good deal on bows some new some used. Buy from people with good feedback and you should be fine. I have bought arrow's sites and stab. from there with no problem..

I have a Bowtech destroyer 340 that I am very happy with I gave $550.00 and it came ready to shoot. The thing looked brand new. The poor guy that sold it to me wrecked his quad and was pretty messed up. Ohiogamefishing. was the site he was selling on. Fishermans warehouse in Columbus held it for him..

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
check out the fred bears...in the wind he's still alive ...for the money...fred bear...:biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
If I was getting rid of my Iceman, I'd be looking at the Bowtech Insanity.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As said before, you can find really good deals on bows that were last years models on archerytalk's classifieds. I cant justify spending the money on a brand new bow when i can buy a used one (that looks new) for half the price and if you go with an Elite Archery bow like i have, their warranties are fully transferable so you really cant beat it. You wouldnt believe how many guys out there buy a new bow every 3-4 months just to try the new thing and commonly sell them on the classifieds to move on to the next.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I would of bought an Elite if there was a shop close by that works on them... I have a shop 3 miles from the house that sell Math, Bowtech, PSE, and Hoyt.. so I bought a Bowtech... Elite was on the top of my list of bows that I want to own. Very good shooting bow's..

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I picked mine at Huntersfriend.com. They sell bow packages that have everything you need to hunt with. Take a gander at their site for prices. They carry most brands. Outstanding service as well.

RGJZ06

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I would of bought an Elite if there was a shop close by that works on them... I have a shop 3 miles from the house that sell Math, Bowtech, PSE, and Hoyt.. so I bought a Bowtech... Elite was on the top of my list of bows that I want to own. Very good shooting bow's..
I shoot a Quest XPB, basically the same bow as the Elite Z28.

Smokin' Arrow Outfitters in Cincinnati is an Elite dealer.

Carp'n shoots Elite religiously too.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I think the nearest to me is in Hamilton... "Yep just looked them up and theyare the ones in Hamilton"....Broken Rack Archery is right around the corner from me, they sold Elite but they don't any more.. I am very happy with my Bowtech Destroyer 340. I may dabble with an Elite in the future thou.

Really though, Most of the bows made these days are very nice bow's... That is why I sugested he buy a brand that his shop sells.. For convinence

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I think the nearest to me is in Hamilton... Broken Rack Archery is right around the corner from me, they sold Elite but they don't any more.. I am very happy with my Bowtech Destroyer 340. I may dabble with an Elite in the future thou.

Really though, Most of the bows made these days are very nice bow's... That is why I sugested he buy a brand that his shop sells.. For convinence
Agreed. Doesnt matter who you go with, as long as it is comfortable for you and you enjoy shooting it. Everyone has good and bad sides.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys. Smokin Arrow Outfitters is about 10 minutes from me. Never heard of it. It didn't show up on Elite's website. The more I've read about Elite, the more interested I get. I just still hate to pay the price. Maybe I'll find one for sale on archery talk. Appreciate all the insight! Good luck to you this year!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
If I was you I would also go to Broken Rack archery. They sell 4 major types of bow's and Dusten will set them up for to try out. That way you can figure out which one fit's you the best. Math, Hoty, PSE and Bowtech. Of course try out Elite. That is what I did before I bought my Bowtech.. Broken Rack has people from all over the state come to him to tune there Bow's, he is one of the best in the Business...

To get to Broken Rack get off the Hillsboro exit Rt. 50 Off of 275 (it is by the Milford exit) go though Owensville left on 133 Left on Quitter and it is on you Right..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sprad said:
What's the best bow out there for the money. Any ideas?
Sprad,
Welcome to Ohio Sportsman forums! :Welcome:

The "best bow for the money" is by personal choice. ;) Archery is full of personal choices and that's what attracts so many to it. :cool:

I will NOT pay rifle prices for a bow, that depreciates 50% in the first year of its' purchase. :coco: There are plenty of good bows and good bow manufacturers out there, that produce a bow for less than $500 that will win 3D shoots and kill deer.

It boils down to "what do you want" and "how much do you want to spend"...after that it gets to be personal preference.

The best advice would be for you to shoot the ones you're interested in owning. Then buy the one that fits YOUR hand and YOUR wallet.

In '09 I purchased a Martin Cheetah, which has a 30" axle to axle, single cam and parallel limbs. It was in the mid $400s. I installed a nice drop-away rest, a 5 pin fiber optic sight, a 5 arrow Soft-Lok quiver and some PSE carbon arrows to match the 52# draw weight. It's extremely accurate(5" groups at 50 yards [field tips and fixed blade broadheads]), no hand shock, smooth drawing and very quiet shooting.

I've been enjoying high scores at 3D shoots and killing my share of deer. I can NOT ask any more of a bow than this and I'm happy. :D

Good luck with your choices!
Bowhunter57

1 - 14 of 14 Posts