Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here into competitive shooting? You know... the Camp Perry types or the Vandalia at the airport types when Vandalia was Vandalia?

I'm more of a shotgun guy but I've dabbled in cutting holes in paper as well. Skeet, trap, and clays are all great fun when you compete against some really great shooters.

Anyone here classified in any of the shooting games?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It has been awhile since I competed, but since you asked, I am a master in high power rifle, master in outdoor bullseye pistol, high master in indoor pistol, "A" class in trap, distinguished rifle and pistol shot and President's 100 for pistol in 1991.

As for Cowboy Action Shooting I was Connecticut state champ one year in the late 90s.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Just getting in to rifle shooting and reloading . Using a .223 and ready to buy either a 22-250 UMAR or .204 upper for my ar15.

Very impressive FRED T :cool:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
It has been awhile since I competed, but since you asked, I am a master in high power rifle, master in outdoor bullseye pistol, high master in indoor pistol, "A" class in trap, distinguished rifle and pistol shot and President's 100 for pistol in 1991.

As for Cowboy Action Shooting I was Connecticut state champ one year in the late 90s.

hot dang that sounds very impressive...:bouncy:nice looking guns too...

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My hat is off to you, sir. On a good day, I can maybe put together a low Expert score for either indoor pistol or outdoor rifle. Skeet is more my game even though I'm only a low A Class shooter. Even won a few trinkets in Class at a World Skeet Championship once.

Trap drives me crazy because I can't stop crawling up over the easy straight away shots; and cowboy shooting is a hoot even though I've never had a chance to get very involved.

What made you quit competing? Ever miss it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I dabbled in two competitions while active duty AF, one for the M16 in 1993, the other for the M9 in 2005. These were elementary level Air Force competitions called EIC matches (excellence in competition), and open to all active duty AF that hadn't won at that level before. The basic premise for winning a marksman award, was that you had to finish with a score above 360, then only the top 10% of scorers would get a medal. There were 4 positions of fire: prone unsupported, prone supported, over barricade, and sitting, and 100 pts possible for each position. All targets were at 25 yards; but different sizes to simulate distances out to 300 yards.

For the M16 match in 1993 I placed overall 1st (375 of 400 pts) out of some 70-odd competitors. As a young E-4 I took great pride besting many Senior NCOs and officers, including the Security Forces Commander (full bird Colonel). :>)

The 2005 M9 match was towards the end of my career. Similar course of fire: Standing offhand, standing supported, behind barricade, kneeling. Targets were at 7 yards, 15 yards, and 25 yards. I placed overall 4th out of 6 or 7 medal winners, can't remember exactly. Kind of ironic because I've always considered myself a better shot with a handgun. It must have been my youth!

Thanks for allowing me to share and re-live the moment :>)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts