Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Looking for reviews (good or bad) on shock and vibrate collars. New weim. pup is coming home at the end of August and I want to start getting her used to the collar sooner rather than later. For the first few months, just want to get her used to having the collar on her, eventually will probably need to use the shock/vibrate feature, so what have you used, what's good, what's bad?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Collars

I live by my Tri-tronics but I've good things about Dogtra.

That said, having been around this stuff for quite awhile now. What is your game plan for this? By nature I raise this as a training topic to be extremely cautious with. Many dogs have been ruined by improper use of collars. Just looking out for both you and the pup. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lance,

I've heard a lot of good about Tri-tronics, I'm not so familiar with the Dogtra.
I'm trying to look out for me and the pup as well. Like i tried to say (and maybe it wasn't clear), I'm undecided to if I will train her for hunting or not, but I do want to get her used to the collar either way. That's why I'm looking at dual action shock and vibrate. I can use the vibrate to obience train her without hurting her.

I've got experience with a GSP that didn't get the collar on soon enough, and always scratched at it, even though he was a trained bird dog.

·
Registered
134 Posts
J ha r had the same tritronic for 15 yrs and several dogs
.all labs so waterproof tested..its the best for field.

My neo used dogtra for his "house dog" and its been good for him

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've heard a lot of bad things about tri tronics recently since harming purchased them. I have an older tri tronics and love it. I've just read a ton of bad things about their newer products.

If I was to buy a new one right now it would probably be a sport dog collar.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I train with the Sportdog Pro Hunter 2500. It has never failed me. There's a newer model out now though that has tone or vibrate for upto 6 collars. Its the model SD 1825. This model has a 1 mile range.

Good customer service as well from Sportdog

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I too have SportDog collars for the beagles. They are 4 years old and beat up as heck from those hounds taking them through the briars but I have never ever had an issue with them. I'm out with the hounds right now as a matter of fact. :)

Sent from my SCH-I405

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have no complaints about the TriTronics Sport Basic collar. Been great so far with no issues.

·
Registered
576 Posts
tri tronics would be my top pic. i had a few sport dog collars that just didnt hold up to the abuse on the coonhounds. but everyone has different luck with different products.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I picked up a lightly used one from a friend. Tried it on myself, so I know the power of the thing. It has a beep rather than a vibrate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ive had a tri tronics trashbreaker for years that i bought for **** hunting but since i dont **** hunt anymore ive used it on all my dogs.(wiemeraner,beagles, labs) and it has always worked great. Ive replaced the battery pack in remote once but that was no big deal. There other brands that are suppoesd to be good too but i havent tried them. If i had to buy a new today i would probably go back with tritronics..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts