Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I also use generic clethodim.....mixed with crop oil.......and also 24DB to eliminate some broadleafs without killing the clover.......some people will do a low dose roundup application if the clover is healthy enough

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also use generic clethodim.....mixed with crop oil.......and also 24DB to eliminate some broadleafs without killing the clover.......some people will do a low dose roundup application if the clover is healthy enough
I mixed some gly with my clethodim. Many folks believe that gly will kill clover. It may brown up a bit, but it comes back lush and healthy. I only do it when the ground has a lot of moisture. Spring is the best IMHO.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I mixed some gly with my clethodim. Many folks believe that gly will kill clover. It may brown up a bit, but it comes back lush and healthy. I only do it when the ground has a lot of moisture. Spring is the best IMHO.
Around 3oz per gallon will speckle the clover, much more and you really need healthy clover and some good growing conditions, from my experience. I used to only use Gly even on clover and screwed up a few times. Now I use clethodim if I have it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Around 3oz per gallon will speckle the clover, much more and you really need healthy clover and some good growing conditions, from my experience. I used to only use Gly even on clover and screwed up a few times. Now I use clethodim if I have it.
I agree. You have to have the right conditions. In my situation, I had very tall grasses and some broadleaves. I expect the clover to be stunted slightly but it will rebound. On a newer plot, I wouldn't use the gly. Stick with clethodim and Butyrac. That will handle grasses and broadleaf weeds. There are some weeds that these will not control, such as Nutsedge. Basagran will handle that and any other broadleaf you may have.

A lot of what I know comes from trial/error, and reading Ed Spinazzola's QDMA book on food plots. It's a great book if you can find a copy.

·
Registered
575 Posts
When is the last date you guys typically mow your clover plots for the season?
I am thinking about mowing mine on Sunday for the last time and letting them sit until season.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When is the last date you guys typically mow your clover plots for the season?
I am thinking about mowing mine on Sunday for the last time and letting them sit until season.
You will be good. We have had some decent rain lately so I would mow it. Consider spreading a low nitrogen fertilizer also. I usually spread 6-24-24.

I have not mowed mine all summer. Since we have had a dry summer, it didn't need it. The deer have kept it groomed for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts