Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have used a climber in years past and had some sucess. But i have been thinking of faceing the opposite way i expect to shoot a deer( or slightly facing away). Placing the tree between me and the deer, so i would not get spoted. Many of the trees do not have much cover when i use a climber. I would stand more than i sit, i know. So was wondering if any of you do this or thoughts on the topic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've tried it and it works to a degree, but you gotta be standing all the time and craning your neck, which gets painful after a while. That and the deer will screw you and decide to come from the other direction for God knows why. Do you plan on shooting them from the opposite direction too or waiting until they come into a more comfortable direction. I would try and get them to get around to my side, so I can get a cleaner shot at them, but if you are able to shoot them from the opposite direction go for it. In theory it should work, but to me its just too uncomfortable. I would say to try it and see how it goes for you and then you can be the judge.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i've had a lot of deer come from behind me,funny how that was from the downwind side too but i've had them walk in from that way and finally to the side where i can see them,many times theyre very cautious but once theyre in front of me awhile where the wind is favorable to me they seem to calm down...as they move away from me it is always a good chance to get a good quartering away shot...i do prefer this if it happens...i hate them coming in from the front...i do kind of like the side approach too as i have better chance of seeing them before they see you...either way you must not move a lot...thats got me busted too many times especially from those behind you that you havent heard yet...even with the tree between you and them they will pick up your bow moving or your arm or head when you look behind you...and i think you have a tendacy to move more when standing...:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah I have been busted quite a bit if they come from the side because you look like a big tumor sticking out of the tree. And like coonie said they will surprise you out of nowhere if they come from behind and you werent lookin

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ok so i have used a climber in years past and had some sucess. But i have been thinking of faceing the opposite way i expect to shoot a deer( or slightly facing away). Placing the tree between me and the deer, so i would not get spoted. Many of the trees do not have much cover when i use a climber. I would stand more than i sit, i know. So was wondering if any of you do this or thoughts on the topic.
That's usually how I try to set up, but I also try to always let the deer pass me and take the quartering away shot or I'll bleat to get them to turn. I never try to face where I think they'll be coming from.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
That's usually how I try to set up, but I also try to always let the deer pass me and take the quartering away shot or I'll bleat to get them to turn. I never try to face where I think they'll be coming from.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: Unless I am covered well with branches or something else..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts