Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I do not bait deer no matter where I hunt. With that being said, I was wondering if somebody could clarify what the rules and regulation book says about baiting of deer on public lands.

#5 on page 11 of the rules and regulation book it says that a hunter CAN "hunt over bait, except on public land (restrictions apply, see page 41.)"

When I look on page 41 it says "it shall be unlawful for any person to distribute, place, or scatter salt, grain, or other feed capable of luring, enticing, or attracting, BIRDS on lands owned, controlled, or maintained by the Ohio Division of Wildlife, including those lands managed by the division by virtue of a lease or an agreement."

Does this seem contradictory to you guys? What I take from this is you can hunt deer over bait on public land as long as the bait does not attract birds. I'm sure I'm wrong on this and I'm sure if I were to bait that I would get caught and they would throw the book at me.

Like I said.....I'm not too worried about it because I don't bait anyways. Just want some clarification.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
from what i read in your first post....seems like liquid mineral sites would be legal since they wouldn't attract birds. i have always heard no baiting on public land though. never read the thing about the attracting birds though.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I don't have the book in front of me - but I think the first portion is the deer hunting section.

The first portion pertains to deer hunters. "A hunter can do the following" portion.

The second portion pertains to every hunter, for example, turkey hunters. They cannot bait turkeys.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I first read that in last years regs and had the exact same questions. You would have thought they would have clarified the language for this season but it is the same again.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
from what i read in your first post....seems like liquid mineral sites would be legal since they wouldn't attract birds. i have always heard no baiting on public land though. never read the thing about the attracting birds though.
I have always interpreted "Hunt deer over bait except on public land (restrictions apply)" to mean you can use bait on private land but if you intend to hunt turkey at that same spot (private land) you have to remove the bait 10 days before the hunt. The "restrictions" refer to the legality of hunting turkey over bait even on private land. I am no game warden just my $0.02.

"It is unlawful to hunt turkeys with the aid of bait. An area is considered baited for ten (10) days after complete removal of any bait."

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Just got off the phone with ODNR. NO BAITING ON PUBLIC LAND PERIOD! The restriction is about baiting in private land for turkey and waterfowl.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you go to ODNR and click on public land-regulation, this is the paragraph that is posted on baiting;

It shall be unlawful for any person to distribute, place, or scatter salt, grain, or other feed capable of luring, enticing, or attracting birds on lands owned, controlled, or maintained by the wildlife division including those lands managed by the division by virtue of a lease or an agreement.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It may or may not be worded that way because each public land can have it's own set of rules. Not 100% positive on that reasoning but I do know rules can be different from each public area. Example would be a privately owned park not ran by ODNR that is open to the public and the public can hunt on it. Had one such place like this a few miles from where I grew up and you could bait on it but this was many years ago.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Al I know is when I called she said without hesitation or with any stipulations was NO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts