Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any recommendations on home remedies for chigger bites? I have dozens of these bites on my legs, stomach, back, and arms from walking down by the river. They have been itching like crazy for about 3 weeks now. I've tried nail polish remover (DO NOT TRY!), calamine lotion, and oral antihistimines with no relief. Trying to clear this up without having to go to a doctor. Any suggestions, or insight on how long these things itch for?

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Wendy had them and her doctor told her to use nail polish. You can't touch them or they spread. Also try, in the first aide section of Walmart, Chiggerex, it helped most of all. (its nail polish, not the remover)

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
I use clear nail polish and it works great

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Sounds nasty. Hope I never get them. Ticks are bad enough.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll have to try the clear nail polish out. How long did Wendy have them for Coonskinner? THEY ITCH SOOOOO BAD!

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i get a chigger or two to a few from time to time...usually when its hot and in grassy fields...but i use a lot of mosquito spray around my ankles and up to knees...real heavy...this seems to keep them off...but if a couple get by...i make sure not to break em open...by scratching em...because they seem to spread...i guess they lay eggs under your skin...anyway they are bothersome for about a month...i doan put anythang on and if i must scratch...i rub with my palm...to keep from breaking the skin...about a month all is back to normal...mosquito spray holds them off along with ticks and almost all other insects...i really put the stuff on heavy all over specially the ankles and legs...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I haven't had them for years!!! Use to get them bailing hay in places u don't want them but nail polish allways did the trick

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
I haven't had them for years!!! Use to get them bailing hay in places u don't want them but nail polish allways did the trick

baling hay...:bouncy:yup thats practically a guarantee...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I spend alot of time in feilds in the summer and have never got into chiggers

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
259 Posts
vinegar

I get em out in the fields too. They have to take their course but a good soak in a tub with alot of vinegar kind of takes some of the itch away for awhile. If their not broke open, a little clorox in the water will help dry em up, but just a little./Mike

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
When I had them on my leg one time I took a hair dryer and put it as close to my skin as I can damn near burning myself.. the next day they were gone.. the clear nail polish never worked

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wish I could use mosquito spray but I'm allergic to deet, lol, i can't even be around anyone that has the stuff on. Pretty sure I got them from going down to the river and walking through the jungle of weeds that were taller than me. Most of the bites were around my waistline and on my back under where my tank top covered, atleast 30 +. I'll take a bad case of poison ivy, oak, or sumac over these suckers any day :irked:

·
Registered
27 Posts
ChiggerX has worked well for me many times. I would recommend this as a easy way to ease the itch. It will not get rid of them immediately, but it seems to keep the itching at bay for a long period of time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mouth wash on a cotton ball seems to help.
BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.1015 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

1 - 20 of 25 Posts