Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a hunting lease in champaign county south west of Urbana and was wondering if anyone has ever turkey hunted near there. I know there isnt a large turkey population in western ohio, and have never seen any turkey sign while deer hunting there. I live an hour and a half away from it and didnt want to get all the way up there if its a waste of time.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
577 Posts
I used to travel out that way for work, north of Springfield and east of Urbana, and on more than one occassion I bumped large flocks (60+) off of the old back roads. I also know from friends from the Mad River Mountain area that they had gobs of birds out that way. I really wanted to track down some of the farmers out there, but never got around to it. Even if you haven't seen birds during deer season, there may still be birds there now. After the flocks split up in the spring, the territory that turkeys cover increases exponetially. If you want a hand scouting the place, PM me with some details and I may be able to help.

·
Banned
955 Posts
champaign county has its fair number of birds. I don't believe they are everywhere like in SE Ohio.....mostly in pockets....but if you can get into an area with birds you should have some luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts