Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

CCW while hunting

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  double J 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm from Louisiana and will be up here for a while. Couldn't find laws regarding this so figured I'd ask here..I also will make some phone calls and send an email to get an answer in writing from the proper authorities.

I will be turkey hunting public land. My state's Conceal Carry Permit is Reciprocal and I want to know if I can conceal carry my Glock 9mm while turkey hunting.

In Louisiana on public land you can only have weapons applicable to the game in season unless you have a CCP, then you can conceal carry but it is strictly for self defense not hunting purposes. Was also unsure if I could have my 9mm with me at all while on state parks or public hunting land during turkey. Most public places I've hunted in the it's allowed due to me having a CCW but wouldn't be otherwise.
Louisiana allows anyone to carry a weapon in their vehicle concealed or not loaded/unloaded whatever without any permit needed but the exception is on game lands. And from what I gather Ohio the gun can not be easily accessible in your vehicle unless you have a CCP. But Couldn't find any particular rulings with state parks and game lands and figured it may be different then the regular law.

Also do you give up your search rights when you enter public hunting lands in Ohio? Not that I have anything to hide but it is like this in Louisiana and just one of those things that I need to be aware of if it's the case.

So basically anyone know if with a CCP can I carry a 9mm conceal while turkey hunting on public land and if not can I leave it in my vehicle parked on public land. During turkey when a 9mm would not be a legal hunting method.

Thanks fellas and of course I'm not taking answers from a public forum as law, just looking for a starting point.

See less See more
#5 ·
If you leave it in your vehicle at a public hunting area, you probably should remove the clip in the event that somebody broke into the vehicle, and you happened to come back at the wrong time.
MAGAZINE!

But yea I will be carrying it so don't have to worry about this. I hate leaving my gun in my vehicle but will do it when I cant have it on my person.
I'm not gun paranoid so that situation doesn't seem very likely to me but even so I'd also have a gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.